Which Harness?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BigTuna:
That's what I said: "I suspect a Hog rig would shine in this area." I didn't know first hand (my rig's not a Hog), so I'm glad for your confirmation.

Could you explain how you handle the details rapidly? Isn't there just a little fumbling to locate the crotch strap, feed the buckle thru it, then close the buckle?

What's your experience (or feeling) with somebody getting you out of your Hog for a tow if you're unresponsive? How can they shrug you out of it without drowning you?

BigTuna, when you said suspect, I thought you mean you "think it might not shine". Point clarified.

When gearing up, I would first place my arms half way through the shoulder straps. Then position myself lower than the stand my rig is sitting on. I then just stand up carefully and the rig now simply rides on my back as my arms run through the shoulder straps fully. While standing, I simply bend a tiny bit to locate the cotch strap and feed the bucklet thru it as you said. Once the buckles are closed, check to ensure the attachment of the spg on my left hip D-ring, put on my bungied backup regulator and route the long hose primary accordingly.

Since I am a fairly large person, the standing portion of the gearing up isn't a problem to me at all.

Regarding your question about playing victim with the hog rig, I have to say that I do not have the experience. When I was doing my rescue diver course, I was then using the TransPlate so quick-releases are there. With my current hog rig, I would simply tell people to cut the shoulder straps with the knife sitting next to the stainless buckle. When I am out there to assist rescue classes, I don't use my BP+Wing since the students won't be familiar with such setup (since BP+Wing is still pretty rare in the local diving community) and I don't want people actually cutting my harness up just for the scenerio practice. But when I go out diving for leisure, I would make sure the people I am diving with are acknowledge on how to get me out of my rig in emergencies.

Im in exactly the same place as Bsea. Same exact choices.

From what I have read here, the consensus is continuous web. But the DR deluxe is almost that except for the chest strap.

Does the chest strap really make it more comfortable? I have tried an old Diverite plastic BP and I thought that the straps tend to slip back over my shoulders. I only used it once and didnt experiment or adjust. Can somebody tell me that if I adjusted it right it will stay in place even without a chest strap?

I am leaning towards the Hammerhead harness just to save on shipping. Does anyone have this? Is the webbing stiff or flimsy?

Thanks

BigTuna:
Could you explain how you handle the details rapidly? Isn't there just a little fumbling to locate the crotch strap, feed the buckle thru it, then close the buckle?

What's your experience (or feeling) with somebody getting you out of your Hog for a tow if you're unresponsive? How can they shrug you out of it without drowning you?
I've meditated on this whole rescue scenario and hog rig conundrum. I don't give it nearly as much thought as I used to. I don't think it's such a big deal.

If you are in the extremely rare event of recovering someone who actually has a chance of surviving; I believe getting them back to the boat will be of top importance. Next is breaths, but I have my doubts as to how effective breaths will be if there is water in the lungs. Last concern on my list is gear removal.

I carry a knife and with 3 cuts, I will have any victim out of their gear , if that were really necessary. I can slip out of my hog rig, but could always cut myself out if I needed as well.

Bottom line, get the rig most comfortable and functional. For me, that's hog. Since hog is so cheap, I see no reason not to buy the rig as hog, and give it 20-30 dives to see it you want to spend another $100 or more for an adjustable rig.

partridge:
Im in exactly the same place as Bsea. Same exact choices.

From what I have read here, the consensus is continuous web. But the DR deluxe is almost that except for the chest strap.

Does the chest strap really make it more comfortable? I have tried an old Diverite plastic BP and I thought that the straps tend to slip back over my shoulders. I only used it once and didnt experiment or adjust. Can somebody tell me that if I adjusted it right it will stay in place even without a chest strap?
I have the TransPlate, and remember to use the chest strap perhaps 50% of the time. Not a huge difference one way of the other, IMO. I mostly close it so as to not have dangly straps... when I remember. I could take it off, but why bother? Who knows, perhaps someday I'll wish I had it, and then it will be gone...

I recently removed the chest strap from my transplate and find that it adds very little comfort or stability. I might miss it when using a 3 mil but I also frequently forgot to buckle it up with my dry suit and didn't miss it. Inching closer to that hog harness...

When I first got my hog rig I was thinking of adding one quick release to the right shoulder strap close to the plate (i.e. cutting the harness and adding the clip to someplace where it would be out of the way. That would have made putting the rig on and taking it off very easy. As for adjustments, you only need to adjust your rig if you borrow it to somebody, when switching between a wetsuits and/or drysuits for example, or if you gain/lose weight but those kind of adjustments only take 5-10 minutes with the hog rig. In the end I didn't end up adding the quick release because the opinion here was that they do break every once in a while, so why add a failure point. However, it might be a good solution for some people. The quick releases are fairly cheap.

BSea, i see in your profile, that your experience level is MUCH higher than mine...
I didn't mean to try and dissuade you from adjustable harnesses. I was clumsily trying to say that trying the hog rig lst would be cheaper ($20-30 total) worth of webbing IF you found after a few dives that it was fine and that you might be surprised that you ended up preferring it. (I was.)
If you don't mind the additional cost of experimenting "the other way round", no problema. Just thought the economy of starting and ending up with your original continuous webbing then possibly adding clips later might appeal.

As a relatively new diver, the "fear" I once had of one piece Hog harnesses was completely unfounded and I'm glad I went with solidness and simplicity. I completely agree that adjustable is the right/preferred choice for some/other folks. It looks like you do warm and cold water diving so I can see why adjustable appeals to you. I used to read that adjusting a Hog harness took forever (scubadiving magazine for one, when they finally reviewed B.P. Wings) but after seeing one in person, I realized that it's no big deal/pretty obvious. Just pull/push and slide.

I haven't found the lack of a chest strap to be an issue at all. In fact I hated them on my adjustable B.C.s and like to keep the drysuit inflation valve area and the "golden triangle" in general clear of extra "stuff". Once a diver is in the water, the chest strap's support isn't needed at all as everything becomes neutral/weightless and was just another ergonomic distraction for me or made emergency removal more complicated. I could never get the dang clip undone with cold water gloves on (even on the beach!) which felt "minimally dangerous".
When I left it undone, it just got caught up in my console hose, octo hose, etc. and was worse than if it was connected-so for me it's nice to simply not have one at all. If a Hog harness is properly adjusted it's no problem at all having no chest strap.
I also like nice stiff/heavy duty shoulder straps to make donning and doffing easier. It may be easier to pick your webbing stiffness with a Hog rig.
Some adjustables have softer straps than others so that would be something else to consider. DSS has soft (and comfortable) strap webbing which can be nice for warm water diving. For cold water, drysuit diving, nice stiff straps that keep their open loop shape in the shoulder straps can be a nice thing for clearing shoulder/arm valves and dry glove rings easier.

The lack of roundess on DSS' D rings could be a preference for some. I find that sometimes my safety 2nd's bungee slides around its' circumference a bit too much
and thought Tobin's design might help with things like that.

Jeez...it still sounds like I'm trying to convince you to go Hog and that isn't really my intention, hence my recommendation to try seeing if Jakub/golemgear.com could let you try 'em all!

Let us know what you ultimately decide on and find happiness with.
Cheers, Jim

I have the dive rite deluxe harness; it's okay. I end up not using the chest strap most of the time; my next set up will be a hog harness with a single quick disconnect on one shoulder strap for convenience. People are always warning against the failure of these quick disconnects, but they're used in backpacks on load bearing straps all the time; remember that the straps on a BP/wing are not carrying any weight once in the water. Plus, I'm sure someone makes a stainless steel quick disconnect for the really paranoid among us.

*Floater*:
When I first got my hog rig I was thinking of adding one quick release to the right shoulder strap close to the plate (i.e. cutting the harness and adding the clip to someplace where it would be out of the way.

Actually i seen acouple rigs that added a quick release on the right strap but you dont have to cut the strap. seperate the top and bottom buckle with 4-6 inches of slack, connect the release and your done. the strap is still a single piece so if the release fails your still connected. I am diving on my first BP/W with the hog harness. It does take practice but once its on and your in the water you dont even know its there.

Dive Safe
Mike

I dive and teach in a combination of DSS and OMS gear, and really like both of them. You may want to consider the OMS Comfort Harness, and just leave off the shoulder pads that come with it. That setup works great for me, and I trim off any extra webbing that may end up dangling.

With XS Scuba pockets placed as far back as I can get them on my waist belt, I have the option of adding extra weight if I need to. I also use the quick connect XS Scuba pockets on my cam bands for trim if needed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom