Which regulators/octos are these?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

smokn'

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm looking at some older setups to get myself started (on a budget here!) and other than that they are Sherwood and Dacor I have no idea what these regulators are or (given they've been properly serviced and kept up) if they would be a good first buy. Any input as to what I'm looking at?
5.jpg

3.jpg

The silver Dacor is a Pacer. Can't tell from the picture which one. There were at least 4 different models 300, 900, 950, 960 and IIRC some also had an XL designation (I owned a 900XL in the 80's)

When Mares bought Dacor they stopped making parts for them. So finding service kits now would probably be difficult or impossible. I've seen the Black Dacor 2nd somewhere also, it's another fairly older model. Ask the seller if the model # is printed on the yoke screw - they usually were.

But I'd stay away from it. I doubt you can find many (if any) people who can service them. I would think the diaphragms would be shot by now. Also the Pacers had a purge cover that depressed the purge button during storage so it didn't deform the 2nd stage seat.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/regulators/37606-dacor-pacer-xl-but-one.html

No clue about the Sherwood.

The Dacor in the first photo is a Pacer,which model does not matter as they are the same repair parts wise. The diaphram is most likely OK and if not it can be replaced IF you can find someone who is willing to do so- current Scubapro and Aqualungs will fit. The exhaust valves and LP seat are a common size. I just serviced 2 of them last week. The big problem is finding someone willing to take the time to locate the parts and who is willing to put a "non factory" service parts in them. Most shops will not due to "liability" reasons.
The Sherwood is pretty much the same however, that model had a cracking problem. The lower housing would crack where the hose enters the body. IF the housing is OK then it's no big deal to service, if it's cracked it's trash.

Never had my hands on either of the regs in the lower photo but just guessing, they are most likely in the same boat as the ones above. You can get them serviced IF you can find someone willing to source the parts and do the work.

Bottom line, they would work fine for you if you get the serviced. Trouble is unless you are willing to do the work yourself or have a tech who will, getting them serviced is going to be difficult. My suggestion is to pass on them or if cheap enough, buy them as test regs to lean how to service regs.

EDIT: The lower Dacor has a newer style diaphram in it (or at least it appears to be) so it should be fine, again IF you can find someone to do the work. The gauges are certainly servicable and would be worth buying if the price is right.

Awesome, thanx for the input guys. I found these two sets along with 90's jacket bc's and wetsuits for $400 apiece. The gauges seem to be the only thing that's worth much so I think I'll ask him to split it up and just take those.

I am not against buying used gear. I have done it many times.

A word of advice: I traded a perfectly good pressure guage and hose for a used OCTO with hose.

I showed it to my local dive shop professional. She immediately pointed out a crack in the housing and said "they had a recall on these"

In this particular case I had no recourse. You can imagine how I felt. I imagine the guys name was U.R. Took.

The black Dacor should be a 360 Aero. I bought one like it in 1985. As posted above, it may cause you some problems when you service them. Budgets are important. Quality life support gear should take the front seat over budgets. Save longer and get new gear, or find used regs that bench test properly, and can be serviced with stock parts. I can see that you are new to the sport, and we all have been there. Don't let price interfere with your total decision.

I dive Scubapro regs. They have an MK2Plus, R295 (for my pony) that is reasonable. But just because they are my brand of choice, they are not the only quality reg out there. It's good to talk to your LDS where you will obtain service, but don't get hooked into a sales pitch. Most of your lower end regs will do fine for your entry into SCUBA, then you can upgrade, using your less pricey model for your pony bottle (in time, you should get one).

Good luck to you as you choose.

Safe diving to you.

....the gauge set is the only part worth anything, even then I wouldn't offer much over $75 for that.

Back
Top Bottom