Which Rescue Class to take?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That makes a lot of sense. Now for another question. How do I know if the course will be good before I take it? I'm willing to go talk to them but I think they would all try and sell their course right?
Again if you really want the best most experienced instructors -who've performed real rescues & diving accident management scenarios along with providing Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (HBOT) -working for State & Federal Gov't Services (actual Los Angeles County Emergency Medical Personnel, Baywatch Lifeguard Paramedics & ER/Hyperbaric Physicians, and US Coast Guard), then come take a "working" vacation to Catalina Island:

Emergency Response Diver > USC Catalina Hyperbaric Chamber > USC Dana and David Dornsife College of Letters, Arts and Sciences

http://dornsife.usc.edu/assets/sites/222/docs/ERD_General_Schedule.pdf

Last edited:
That makes a lot of sense. Now for another question. How do I know if the course will be good before I take it? I'm willing to go talk to them but I think they would all try and sell their course right?

It's a good question.
It can be hard, but you should notice when they are knowledgeable or just trying to make a sale.
Try not to ask subjective questions, and focus more on facts, the teaching program, how long it takes, if they stick to the program or add anything else... theory lessons, pool and ow lessons... the subjects being covered and see what they say.
If they say it will be easy, then maybe they won't push you hard enough...
You can also ask how many courses they usually teach and how long they've been teaching... if they have extra rescue-related training besides being a scuba rescue instructor...

Since taking the rescue class, I've probably assisted with around 20 rescue classes at my LDS, with pretty much every instructor there. LDS policy is anyone taking the rescue class is welcome to come back and participate in future classes. Here are a few observations to maybe help you make some decisions of what is best for you:

Every instructor runs the class very differently, based on their background and experience. A former military special forces guy will run the class quite differently from a dive instructor who does IT as their day job, which is not to say one is better or worse than the other. But you will get two different perspectives, both which are fully compliant with PADI standards for the rescue class. One might focus more on physical skills, while the other places more emphasis on planning and analytic skills

No single rescue class will really make you particularly qualified to rescue anyone in most situations. For the most part, the class is like drinking from a fire hose because there is a lot of information and skills being thrown at you, which are overwhelming for most people (from personal experience and observations in several classes). The class gives you the foundations and some basic understanding in an environment more stressful than typical PADI certification classes.

The quality of the class instruction and skills is probably as dependent on fellow class members as the instructor. If everyone else in the class is an experienced, skilled diver, you will get a lot more out of the class than if fellow classmates are borderline hopeless. You're working as a team (or should be) on many of the rescue scenarios, although you can still learn how to delegate rescue steps based on capabilities of fellow class members. Working with both types over time is probably the best preparation for a real world rescue

All other things being equal, every class is different because conditions come in to play. A low viz day is very different from a high viz day for training, and current, surge, waves, temperature and everything else nature throws at you affects the class and what you get out of it. If the class is on a boat, lots more variables come into play as well

After you take the class, you will quickly forget most of the skills unless you perform them regularly. Unlike just about any other scuba certification class, the rescue class skills are the ones you hope you never need to use, so they are typically not something you spend time on when you go out diving for enjoyment.

The real benefit comes when you regularly come back and participate in future classes, either as a buddy, victim or helper. You are under no stress to perform (sometimes poor performance as an assistant for a rescue class is a plus!) and you get to observe everyone going through the skills for the first time. Think you did a decent job surfacing an unconscious diver when you first took the rescue class? Just wait until a student tries to surface you and you experience everything they do wrong. You'll quickly learn more than the first time through the rescue class to get another plastic card. You get to refresh your skills, practice in different environments, observe different teaching methods and approaches, and over time really pick up all the skills advertised for the course in the first place

If you're thinking of going on to become a DM or instructor, helping with a number of rescue classes makes it a lot easier to ace all the rescue skills needed for pro-level classes. One great rescue class from the best instructor hardly qualifies you for the skills you really need at the pro level

Definitely talk to the instructor before you sign up for the rescue class. If the chemistry isn't right or the guy really rubs you the wrong way, it's unlikely to get any better when you take the class

GUE does not offer a Rescue class per se; Rescue skills feature prominently in the Rec 2 class, but the prerequisite for that would be Rec 1 or Fundies.

I agree with Bob -- A rescue class will be as good as the instructor wants it to be, and different instructors visualize the class differently. Some instructors are heavily invested in the physical skills, and you can't finish the class until you can DO that fireman's carry . . . Others conceptualize the class more as a strategy class, and a massive motivator to AVOID being in a situation where you have to be rescued. I think, if you want to evaluate an instructor's class, you should ask about how long the class will be (classes taught in the minimum amount of time that is legal are often minimal classes) and maybe ask the instructor, "What is the most important takeaway lesson you hope your students will get from the class?"

In my signature line. www.udmaquatics.com

Of course. I should have looked there :doh: Its about 3.5 hours away so it's a bit of a drive but not undo-able. I'll have to ask around at the shops closer to me and see if there is one that I think will provide all the things I need/want to learn

GUE does not offer a Rescue class per se; Rescue skills feature prominently in the Rec 2 class, but the prerequisite for that would be Rec 1 or Fundies.

Thanks Lynne.

Good question and I largely agree with Bob's comments. This may be an overly simplistic explanation, but I see Diver rescue incorporating several elements (the importance of which will depend upon the diving environment and your proximity to emergency resources) in-which one program may be insufficient.

-Your emergency plan (are you prepared to deal with a diving emergency/ equipment available);
-Your attentiveness and reaction to the problem (time is a factor);
-Your physical ability (fitness to perform an in-water rescue);
-Your knowledge (completing what is required in the situation);
-Your level of emergency first-aid training; and
-Your ability to follow through.

Each of these may require different skill-sets and the desire to recognize the importance of preparation ahead of time. In this way, a rescue program should be looked upon as one rung in the ladder to help you recognize, recover and provide timely action that will maximize the chances of the victim.

A rescue course (like any other) is dependent upon the course content and the instructor teaching it. Course duration is an indicator of the quantity of material being covered. It doesn't however reflect upon the quality of the instruction. A critical comparison with other courses offered in your area (price/value) is recommended. Ask yourself how important this instruction is to you and choose a program and instructor in-line with your goals.

SO I went to a few shops today and I was not impressed. One place said they had a 3 hour class, a pool session and a weekend at the local quarry. The in water sounds good but the 3 hours of class seemed short to me. The other place only had a quarry weekend, no class time and no pool. So i automatically crossed them out. That brings me to a new question. How long should the classroom session of the Rescue class be?

Depends on the knowledge base of the student. I have taken 3-5 hours of class room, all the way up to 8 hours. Max. The in water portion is where a lot of discussion and critical thinking takes place, which is the "meat" of what you should be getting out of the course anyway.

Additionally, you aren't too far from my area....I teach the NAUI program out of Hampton, Va. Jim is another competent option.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom