Which Rescue Class to take?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, well that is good to know that the "meat" is the in water. It makes sense tho since you can't save someone in a classroom lol.

I teach the NAUI program out of Hampton, Va. Jim is another competent option.

That is also 3 hrs away, but still not out of the picture. Do you have a website for your shop?

So just following up my my earlier post. I took both PADI's and SSI's respective rescue courses. In summary, SSI focuses more on prevention, while PADI focuses more on rescue. Physically, the PADI class was much more demanding. There are some significant differences in terms of rescue breathing for an unconscious diver where you are a long ways from shore (assuming you are willing to provide mouth to mouth). PADI teaches that if you are within 5 minutes of shore, you do a rescue breath every 5 seconds. SSI says if you are longer than a short distance (undefined), then you do rescue breaths. My SSI instructor told me that SSI used to do it the same way as PADI just a few years ago. I don't want to start a debate on which is better. If I was to choose only one course, I'd take the PADI one, as it is tougher. But I'd recommend taking both if you have the time/budget/interest. I'm big on safety and learning. I think it will be a while before I stop taking classes, as since my OW course, I've had some good instructors from both PADI and SSI (I do plan on taking classes from SDI and TDI in the future as well, but after I get over 100 dives, and I'm about half way there).

well that is good to know. Ill look into more PADI shops then. Although as most people have said the instructor seems to matter more than the course. Which I have seen just through questioning the few I have spoken with so far.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom