Who has the best wreck diving in the Caribbean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It has everything from the 400 foot Antilla that extends from the surface to 60 fsw, to the California that is an advanced dive. There are wrecks from WWII as well as new wrecks sunk as artificial reefs. The water is 80 degrees with visibility from 40 to 100 feet. There are only a few shore dive sites but I prefer diving wrecks off a boat anyway. Last trip we dived with Native Divers. It’s a small operation running a six pack off the beach. The Captain/Dive Master Romeo, let us choose the destination. After we demonstrated we knew what we were doing (weren’t going to get lost and/or kill ourselves) he allowed my wife and I to dive by ourselves which was a big improvement over the typical canned tours.

pacogo46 once bubbled...
Mike it's a verry nice photo in your bicycling:)
Regards
Paco

I couldn't afford a scooter so opted for alternate transportation!

Mike

My two favorite Caribbean wrecks (that was the request right? :)) are the Jane Sea (which is off the coast of Aruba, and the Stavranikta off the coast of Barbados.

I don't know much about the Jane Sea....but she's at about 90 feet, a pretty good size ship and she's sitting straight upright.

The Stavranikita, is an old Russian frieghter, she's also sitting straight up. The top of her mast is at about 20 feet, her deck is 100 feet and her prop is 130 feet. It's a great multi-level dive.

There are swim throughs available on both wrecks.

Have fun!

Peace,
Cathie

I've dived Aruba, Bonaire, Grenada, Dominica, St Thomas, Jamicia, Puerto Rico, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, and Majahual.

Of those, Aruba has by far the best wrecks.

Rich

I was pretty impressed with the wrecks in Florida but I am into the really "BIG" stuff. The Keys has a lot of great wrecks but I have heard great stuff about BWI.

Any idea if Cuba has any wreck diving?

My dream is to dive the South Pacific, especially "Iron Bottom Sound" off of Guada Canal, in the Solomons. To date, I really enjoy the BC wrecks but impressed with what I also saw in San Diego.

Amy

I just got back from diving in Aruba. They had many wrecks, with the airplane wreck being one of my favorites. The Antilla was also nice, and VERY long, though the water was a bit cloudy that day. If you like to see more than just the wreck, such as sea life, you'll love all the Morays that seem to be hanging in and around the wrecks. I guess it all depends on what you are looking for in your wreck dive. But there are enough there that you could go on a different wreck every day if you like. And if you go to Aruba, go through www.divearuba.com. Clive was a great operator, and runs a small, professional operation.

-Trent

Back
Top Bottom