• instructors/divemasters

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • Solo

Votes: 6 7.0%
  • Others (?)

Votes: 12 14.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you're gonna have dive solo, gotta know your limits.

Most times I would prefer a buddy, but buddies aren't always available, in fact, more often than not, I can't find people to dive with, so I will not let that misfortune stop me from diving at all.

I know there's pros and cons to the entire issue. My first thirty some dives i did by myself, under conservative conditions in Lake Champlain (island coves, shore dives, etc) because I did not have a regular dive buddy at the time.

If you're ocean diving on a commercial boat, most of them as we all well know enforce the buddy system. And many times you may be stuck with someone who not as experienced as yourself, or vice-versa, someone possessing doubles and is able to spend more time below because he has the equipment and techniques.

I've had several occasions where inexperienced divers have really messed up my dive, and this is through no fault of their own, and I'm always willing to help someone out, but at the same time, I am not being paid extra to babysit, they should be with a DM.

Diving solo carries with it various degrees of risk, but then so does diving in general.

No better way to meet another diver than taking a class. I met my "primary" dive buddy when I took my first class. As it turns out, he lives close by, has a fairly open schedule, and is ALWAYS up for plunge.

Since then, I've found that my back-yard neighbor also dives. We're going to hit a big lake about and hour from here -- probably in the spring.

My husband had been certified for years but had done any diving after I met him. Then I got certified and MAKE him dive with me. Now my 12 yo son just got certified so he'll be my dive buddy. Can you triple up on dives? We did at the lake but will they let you off of a dive boat?

I belong to a dive club and most of my shore diving is done with other members. Usually it's the same group of people that goes together and splits up into buddy groups on site. So it almost always ends up being the same 4-5 people that I dive and am familiar with. That said, I have gone diving with people that I was not familiar with on several occasions, for instance when I really wanted to go diving, couldn't find anyone I knew who could go, and ended up hooking up with someone new for a couple of dives.

-Roman.

It's just chance, you either meet avid divers or you don't.

A lot of regional diving groups can be very clique.

they are usually from scubaboard... I should have selected "friends" because that is usually what they turn into...

My SO is my dive buddy for all of her dives, but not for all of mine. She's not into the type of diving I want to do. She is mostly into warmer water or shallower "pretty" wrecks where we can bug hunt.

For the remainder of the dives I do are with a coupld of guys from the LDS that I have taken classes with, or I have been known to go solo.

Ty

got4boyz once bubbled...
My husband had been certified for years but had done any diving after I met him. Then I got certified and MAKE him dive with me. Now my 12 yo son just got certified so he'll be my dive buddy. Can you triple up on dives? We did at the lake but will they let you off of a dive boat?

Oh yeah, I've gone off a few dive boats where we go in a team of 3. There is usually no problem with that... in fact, it just makes you're team even more "redundant" than before... :D

got4boyz once bubbled...

You bet, I've done many dives off dive boats in a buddy team of 3. If you think about it, it actually just increases the redundancy of the dive team!! :D

But to be sure, I would phone the charter, or when booking a charter make sure it is OK with the dive boat (more of a courtesy than anything else).

Back
Top Bottom