Who's using 100% O2 for deco?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is controversy over using 80% as a deco gas? :popcorn:

Oh God. Let's get it over with. DIR (actually Irvine) calls it "stroke gas". I'm fine with that. Their bottom line is that if you can't hold your deco stop then you shouldn't be in the water. I've been in 6' seas. -I shouldn't be in the water.

Interesting.

I like 80%. I go on my deco earlier, for more of my deco time. Since I am prone to sub-clinical DCS symptoms, I like going on a richer gas earlier.

As for DIR (Irvine), I'm not finding I agree completely with the way they do some things.

Everybody uses O2.
Actually, there are places where it's simply not available ... at least, not at the 100% level. So in those places, you either use what's available, or you don't dive.

If those are my choices, I'm gonna use what's available ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

....//....As for DIR (Irvine), I'm not finding I agree completely with the way they do some things.

I really like most of what they do, but I have a few issues too. So let's just not tell anybody and get on with life and diving. :D

Reactions: Jax
In my NAUI, TDI, IANTD, and UTD classes we used 100% and I can't recall the last time I did a dive with someone who doesn't use 100%.

The only argument that makes even a little sense is if you have 2400 psi supply bottles, 3000 psi deco bottles, and no booster. 2000 psi of oxygen in alu 40 supports a pretty long deco hang - it's not much of an issue. If you really need more use an alu 80 or go to a shop with a booster.

In my NAUI, TDI, IANTD, and UTD classes we used 100% and I can't recall the last time I did a dive with someone who doesn't use 100%.

The only argument that makes even a little sense is if you have 2400 psi supply bottles, 3000 psi deco bottles, and no booster. 2000 psi of oxygen in alu 40 supports a pretty long deco hang - it's not much of an issue. If you really need more use an alu 80 or go to a shop with a booster.

So, you're saying the reason to use 100% is because everyone else is . . . ? :popcorn:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom