Who's using 100% O2 for deco?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GI3:
It announces to all the world that you have no clue, kind of like wearing clip-on suspenders or having dog dirt on your shoes.
In rebuttal to Irvine's rant, I will point out that clip-on suspenders were endorsed by no less an authority than GQ magazine, in a recent issue, though I wouldn't wear them (or any suspenders) myself. Dog dirt on the shoes is still considered to be less than stylish, however.

...//....Any reasoned evidence why it's a bad thing?

You are trying to outgass N2. There is no competing N2 in-gassing with pure O2 because there is absolutely no N2 in it. In 80/20 the (low) partial pressure of N2 works against you a bit. However, you get a deeper MOD. Same general idea of an accelerated washout effect, it just takes a bit longer. In rough seas some people think that a deeper MOD (wider range of use) is a good thing. In all fairness, most DIR practitioners are way more pragmatic than they are "taught" to be.

Looks like Jax pulling a Wormil and posting with 100% trOll2 :wink:

:confused:

Because I am questioning this "we all do 100% . . . . because we all do 100%" mentality?

You are trying to outgass N2. There is no competing N2 in-gassing with pure O2 because there is absolutely no N2 in it. In 80/20 the (low) partial pressure of N2 works against you a bit. However, you get a deeper MOD. Same general idea of an accelerated washout effect, it just takes a bit longer. In rough seas some people think that a deeper MOD (wider range of use) is a good thing. In all fairness, most DIR practitioners are way more pragmatic than they are "taught" to be.

:cool3:

Seems one could plan their own deco gasses without the dictation of others as to what they should or should not use. That is, if one really knows how to plan their gas, and knows themselves as an individual.

Given the choice I will take 100% O2. Breathing 0% N2 just makes sense to me.

If the highest O2 available is 80%/75% or whatever that's fine to, it's really not a big deal.

If getting on a deco gas earlier is important then take 2 deco gases.

Using 100% typically results in a higher CNS%, but that's what air breaks are for.

And IMHO the Irvine rant is a load of crap that always amuses me in a sick way. :D

:confused:

Because I am questioning this "we all do 100% . . . . because we all do 100%" mentality?

Well, this is why I asked the question. In Scubaboard fashion, this thing spun out of control by the second page:D. I think that's why I'm so attracted to this forum! You guys are great!

At any rate, I probably should have presented this a bit differently although I'm certain the outcome would have been predictably the same. I'm quite comfortable with my instructors direction regarding the use of 100%. I simply wanted to hear differing opinions so that I can begin to formulate my own with the input of others.

When I began initially discussing my desire to complete an AN/DP program, I didn't posses the requisite vernacular to discuss the course meanigfully and I was initially "warned" about the use of 100% for deco in rough sea's by what I now know to be "marginal" divers:D.

Simply, this gave me the impression that it's use was more controversial than it apparently is. I enjoyed the DIR rant posted on page two and it actually cleared some things up nicely for me.

Given the choice I will take 100% O2. Breathing 0% N2 just makes sense to me.

If the highest O2 available is 80%/75% or whatever that's fine to, it's really not a big deal.

If getting on a deco gas earlier is important then take 2 deco gases.

Using 100% typically results in a higher CNS%, but that's what air breaks are for.

And IMHO the Irvine rant is a load of crap that always amuses me in a sick way. :D

I was under the impression that air breaks had much more to do with CO2 than PO2...

Back when I learned how to post, popcorn icon was the proper marking for posts with that standard mix...and the winking smiley was the proper marking for mild sarcasm...times change I guess. :shakehead:

( :wink: )

Reactions: Jax
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom