Why don't we have emergency signaling devices connected to the boat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

--- .... / - .... .- -. -.- ... .-.-.- / -. --- .-- / - .... . / -... --- .- - / .--- ..- ... - / .-.. . ..-. - / - .... . / .-. . ... - / --- ..-. / ..- ... / .... . .-. . / .. -. / --- .-. -.. . .-. / - --- / ... . .-. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- .-. / .-- .. ... .... . ... .-.-.- / ... --- -- . / ... .- ..-. . - -.-- / -.. . ...- .. -.-. . .-.-.-

- .... . --- .-. . - .. -.-. .- .-.. .-.. -.-- --..-- -.-- --- ..- -.-. --- ..- .-.. -.. ..- ... . .- -.. ... -- -... ..-. --- .-. - .-. .- -. ... -- .. - - .. -. --. -- --- .-. ... . - --- - .... . ... ..- .-. ..-. .- -.-. . .. - .-- --- ..- .-.. -.. .--- ..- ... - .-. . --.- ..- .. .-. . .- ... . .-. .. . ... --- ..-. ... .... .- .-. .--. --- .-. .-.. --- -. --. .--. ..- .-.. .-.. ... --- -. - .... . .-.. .. -. . --- -... ...- .. --- ..- ... .-.. -.-- .. - .-- --- ..- .-.. -.. -... . .- --- -. . .-- .- -.-- -- . ... ... .- --. . .- .-.. - .... --- ..- --. .... .. ... ..- .--. .--. --- ... . - .... .- - - .... . -... --- .- - -.-. .-. . .-- -.-. --- ..- .-.. -.. - ..- --. -... .- -.-. -.- --- -. - .... . -.. ... -- -... - --- -.-. --- -- -- ..- -. .. -.-. .- - . - --- - .... . -.. .. ...- . .-. .- .-.. ... ---

You guys are killing me! I am so glad that Morse is not required and that the only time it seems to get any use is to make a thread silly.

Side note: It can still be useful though (unless things have changed in the last few years and everything has gone digital and I'm out of it) because sometimes radio propagation is not good enough to understand someone talking but you can still make out dits and dahs clearly enough.

^^^ All above water though :wink:

.. ..-. -.-- --- ..- .- .-. . --. --- .. -. --. - --- ..- ... . -- --- .-. ... . -.-. --- -.. . - --- -.-. --- -- -- ..- -. .. -.-. .- - . --..-- .- -. -.. -.-- --- ..- -. . . -.. - --- -... ..- -.-- . -..- .--. . -. ... .. ...- . . --.- ..- .. .--. -- . -. - - --- -.. --- .. - --..-- .--- ..- ... - -- .- -.- . ... ..- .-. . . ...- . .-. -.-- --- -. . .. ... .-- . .-.. .-.. - .-. .- .. -. . -.. .-- .. - .... .. - --..-- --- .-. -.-- --- ..- -- .. --. .... - .... .- ...- . - --- .-. . .--. . .- - -.-- --- ..- .-. ... . .-.. ..-. .- -. -.. . -..- .--. . .-. .. . -. -.-. . -... ..- -.-- . .-. .----. ... .-. . -....- -- --- .-. ... . .-.-.-

I HAD TO STRAIN TO REMEMBER SOME OF THE CODE. had to look a couple up. now tell me ... is there not a wide range of talent among us?

.. ..-. -.-- --- ..- .- .-. . --. --- .. -. --. - --- ..- ... . -- --- .-. ... . -.-. --- -.. . - --- -.-. --- -- -- ..- -. .. -.-. .- - . --..-- .- -. -.. -.-- --- ..- -. . . -.. - --- -... ..- -.-- . -..- .--. . -. ... .. ...- . . --.- ..- .. .--. -- . -. - - --- -.. --- .. - --..-- .--- ..- ... - -- .- -.- . ... ..- .-. . . ...- . .-. -.-- --- -. . .. ... .-- . .-.. .-.. - .-. .- .. -. . -.. .-- .. - .... .. - --..-- --- .-. -.-- --- ..- -- .. --. .... - .... .- ...- . - --- .-. . .--. . .- - -.-- --- ..- .-. ... . .-.. ..-. .- -. -.. . -..- .--. . .-. .. . -. -.-. . -... ..- -.-- . .-. .----. ... .-. . -....- -- --- .-. ... . .-.-.-

.- -. -.. ..- ... .. -. --. ... .--. .- -.-. . ... -... . - .-- . . -. .-- --- .-. -.. ... .... . .-.. .--. ...

technology..... one divers toy is anoter divers tool. i agree that that the technology should not be a substitute for basic skills. and if all goes right it is not needed. on the subs we had a core belief that as long as the surfaces equaled the dives, that was all that mattered. i think the same applies for diving. once all is back on the boat the dive becomes just another adventure story. untill that point, a lot of tools are used to insure the count ballances. if we went back to the 50's and 60's, a time i am somewhat familiar with, it would have been thought that a bc was just a toy for those who can not weight themselves. now itis a staple of our sport. i forsee ond day the navmate becoming such a standard device like the computer has become. three will always be the old guard that still uses a depth gage and timer. and there is nothing wrong with that because if they have made it to old guard status , the system is obviously working for them. i see the navmate not for keeping track on my buddy but keeping track of other buddy teams and the location of hte boat if i screw the pooch in the navigation orthe boat has to move, (drift dive). so its a primary means to track others and a backup in the event of a failure of either my skills, or other factors beyond my control and preplannig fail to hold constant. to have the same navigational tools available to the diver that the boat has is quite a step forward. even our military piolots have a parachute, pistol and locator beacon when things turn to dodo. i thnkabout some of the forums i have read like "leaving expensive gear behind". is noto somuch a bid deal with a becon attached to it. i remember when trying to nav back to a point in low vis and missing the point and passing it with in a few feet. granted that there are places that such toy's/tools are not appropriate there are i am sure more places that they are or have no consquence in thier use.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom