Why don't we have emergency signaling devices connected to the boat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This all in all sounds good, however RF signals dont pass through water very well at all, ELF do all right but not in small devices. I dont work for Navimate, so I dont know exactly how it works, but my guess is the base unit by the boat recieves the GPS signal, then it in turns sends out noise, similer to the sonar and the hand held units recieve this and can tell were they are, to make the base unit know where the divers are more accuratly would require them to install a transmittor in each unit. Yes the boat can pick up the echo from the sonar. Now as far as communication underwater to the boat wirelessly this would be almost impossible first you need a full face mask so you are able to speak. then you have to somehow transmit that signal through the water, Water absorbs rf signals quickly, you see that as colors disappear as you dive. any signal sent through the water couldnt be RF except in VLF and those are not cheap. This is getting long and isnt of any real use except for saying that actual audio conversations from a diver to a boat would be very difficult.

My credentials, short term diver, however I used to control military signals operating in different wavelengths. I also have learned stuff about them in radiology training. this training also helped me learn how people hear.

- .... . --- .-. . - .. -.-. .- .-.. .-.. -.-- --..-- -.-- --- ..- -.-. --- ..- .-.. -.. ..- ... . .- -.. ... -- -... ..-. --- .-. - .-. .- -. ... -- .. - - .. -. --. -- --- .-. ... . - --- - .... . ... ..- .-. ..-. .- -.-. . .. - .-- --- ..- .-.. -.. .--- ..- ... - .-. . --.- ..- .. .-. . .- ... . .-. .. . ... --- ..-. ... .... .- .-. .--. --- .-. .-.. --- -. --. .--. ..- .-.. .-.. ... --- -. - .... . .-.. .. -. . --- -... ...- .. --- ..- ... .-.. -.-- .. - .-- --- ..- .-.. -.. -... . .- --- -. . .-- .- -.-- -- . ... ... .- --. . .- .-.. - .... --- ..- --. .... .. ... ..- .--. .--. --- ... . - .... .- - - .... . -... --- .- - -.-. .-. . .-- -.-. --- ..- .-.. -.. - ..- --. -... .- -.-. -.- --- -. - .... . -.. ... -- -... - --- -.-. --- -- -- ..- -. .. -.-. .- - . - --- - .... . -.. .. ...- . .-. .- .-.. ... ---

Well this is what the old hard hat divers did albeit a more basic non morse version

1 tug for more air, 2 tugs for more line, 3 tugs for help I am stuck and a large octopus is strangling me, etc etc

i was not thinking about sending morse code with a navmate. the 2 were separate issues. the navimate is a comm decive on its own . as such it could incorporate a series of std messages for broadcast. probably a half dozen. say low air, help, abort, stay, ect. the morse issue would be best suited when used with a squaker like the ones on an lp hose or a light. letter a references air ,, error = urgent, ,, s= surface something like that. you learn perhaps 5 letters and not the whole alplhabet. we are already doing this with hand signals. they are just a few of them. the navimate just happened to be a package made for comms, primarily of position but the potential of other comms as well. buddy to buddy talk can be handled in multiple ways, but the comms to the boat is a different problem that the navimate could be well suited. search teams, training teams , exploration, serveying. although navimate is expensive relativily speeking the navimate technology is what i refer to when i use the name.

did all this and then saw your comment

- .... .- - / .. ... / .-- .... .- - / .-- . / .-.. . .- .-. -. . -.. / .- -. -.. / -. --- .-- / ..-. --- .-. --. --- - / .- ... / .-.. .. -. . / ... .. --. -. .- .-.. ... / -.. . -.-. .- -.. . ... / .- --. --- / .. - / .-- .- ... / -- --- ... - / ..- ... . ..-. ..- .-.. / .. -. / - .... . / -.-. --- -- -- . .-. -.-. .. .- .-.. / -.. .. ...- .. -. --. / .- .-. . -. .- / ... .- .-.. ...- .- --. . / -.. .. ...- . .-. / - ..- --. --. . -.. / ... .. --. -. .- .-.. ... / - --- / ... .- -.-- / .-.. .. ..-. - / ... - --- .--. / . -.-. -

Well this is what the old hard hat divers did albeit a more basic non morse version

1 tug for more air, 2 tugs for more line, 3 tugs for help I am stuck and a large octopus is strangling me, etc etc

Hmm... what if the octopus gives more tugs on the rope?? Then they won't know WHAT to do... lol.

The Navimate looks cool but I believe it will be pricey. It will also require setup at the boat. Who knows maybe the dive Ops will spring for the boat unit, or not. The range is limited to 100 yards (300 feet) so if diving 50ft you then can travel 250ft before running out of range. It will be interesting to see haw this unfolds in the next few years.

i assume they have changed their performance specs. they use to work up to1000 yds for location smission and 100 yds for diver to diver

The Navimate looks cool but I believe it will be pricey. It will also require setup at the boat. Who knows maybe the dive Ops will spring for the boat unit, or not. The range is limited to 100 yards (300 feet) so if diving 50ft you then can travel 250ft before running out of range. It will be interesting to see haw this unfolds in the next few years.

Actually.... not to be a pain, and no criticism intended or anything, but you could actually go down 50' and then 295' laterally.... a^2+b^2=c^2. Just figured I'd correct the numbers....

I am just reading the site and do not have any magic knowledge of this....

"Other Navimate™ units within about 100 yards (90 meters) are broadcasting their position, and will be plotted as small diver icons on each other’s screens. These icons can be tagged with identifying information, as well as the diver’s depth and velocity, if desired."

Sounds like a cool way to track your divers from a boat. No more loosing divers unless your in deep water, but dives like on the Duane (120' to the sand) as long as you stayed on the wreck you're visible.

HERE IS TEH PART THAT COVERS The RANGE. I have talked to the company and makers of this and they confirm the .5-1 mile range for position data (boat bouy location info to diver). The 100 yds is for diver to diver communication of shared position data. the range linmitatin for exchanging diver posit data is the imits of the receiver and power of hte transmitter. the diver units xmit a low power that is picked up at a range up to 100m. the boat unit has a more powerfull unit to xmit and can send its lat/lon up to a mile and still have sig strenth to be picked up by the diver units.

Maximum operating range from the boat to the wrist units is ½-1 mile (.8-1.6 kilometers), depending on ocean conditions (highly turbulent water, kelp, etc.). Accuracy is 20-40 feet (6-12 meters) at the maximum range, and 10 feet (3 meters) at distances of ¼ mile (400 meters) or less (limited by GPS accuracy). There must be a reasonably good line of sight between the Navimate™ wrist unit and the GPS gateway. The signal will be “diffracted” around smaller obstacles such as a pile of rocks, but can be blocked by larger objects, such as wrecks. In these circumstances a second GPS gateway can be deployed from a buoy, to insure complete coverage of the area.

The next product (now being designed) will answer the many requests to be able to keep track of diver locations from the dive boat. The Navimate units are broadcasting their GPS positions on a low-power acoustic beacon, allowing us to map the locations of dive buddies within a range of about 100 yards (90 meters). In order to be able to keep track of diver locations at the full ½-1 mile (.8-1.6 kilometers) operating range of Navimate, we will offer a more sensitive acoustic receiver that can be used from the boat and connected to a laptop or other shipboard display.

I am just reading the site and do not have any magic knowledge of this....

"Other Navimate™ units within about 100 yards (90 meters) are broadcasting their position, and will be plotted as small diver icons on each other’s screens. These icons can be tagged with identifying information, as well as the diver’s depth and velocity, if desired."

Sounds like a cool way to track your divers from a boat. No more loosing divers unless your in deep water, but dives like on the Duane (120' to the sand) as long as you stayed on the wreck you're visible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom