Why don't we have emergency signaling devices connected to the boat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You guys are killing me -- I spent several minutes trying to figure out what kind of board or computer malfunction was causing all the letters to get chopped off into lines and dots . . .

you guys are killing me -- i spent several minutes trying to figure out what kind of board or computer malfunction was causing all the letters to get chopped off into lines and dots . . .

roflmao.

do i hear the sound of cert card printers starting up for the new underwater morse code course graduates

On a recent expedition where we were doing strictly blue water diving 20+ miles from shore, we were required to take an epirb down with us. Because they were encased in Otterboxes, they were a little bulky to carry, but had something happened where the diver got swept away from the mother ship, it was comforting to know we could hit a panic button and summon help with a GPS location.

I lost any Morse Code skills after they dropped it from the amateur tests. Sad, really. It's turning into a lost art. And has eliminating it really helped get new people interested in ham radio??

Enough TJ'g. :)

I'm with the "while it's a good idea" crowd, what are the chances of it making a difference when time is of essence? Not sure. For an OOA situation when one is deep, not much of a help. But, if it saves one life, and that's your life, all is good. Whatever it is, it must be available to all divers and boats - not priced out of everyone's reach.

Finger reel and two tin cans?? lol.

I think the OP is a little utopian in nature.

I everyone practiced gas management most OOG situations would not exist.

If we all carried redundant air the OOG and delivery failure would cease to be an issue.

If we were all fit and young the non-diving related accidents that happen would dwindle.

If so many wanna be divers did not shop for instruction with their checkbook in mind quality instruction would thrive.

Put all that together and ask what are the chances that people en masse are going to shell out for such a gadget?

What will it take to get such a system on a universal platform so it works at all dive locations? (Beta/VHS, BlueRay and whatever.....)

What boat? Plenty are shore diving or private boats.

Would boats issue these? Would customers be required to carry them?

Would they also be tracking beacons? Folks are afraid of smart power meters, do they need to be wired?

It's a good idea and has value in the right place. To propose "all divers" is a huge stretch. I went to Expo 67 and they were saying we'd all be living in homes made of stacked precast concrete modules. The only dwelling I know of that was built that way lately around here is a state prison. Ideas and concepts are great. The implementation often caries from the original application.

Pete

Even if it is, that just replaces your compass, nothing more. It won't solve the issue of communicating with the boat in an emergency at all. It may help prevent getting separated from the boat if you can't navigate by traditional means, but if the boat leaves or you have an underwater emergency you've spent a lot of money on a wrist-weight.
From the Navimate website:

Because GPS signals are not directly receivable under water, Navimate™ functions through use of a small unit that is most commonly hung from a dive boat or buoy (the “GPS gateway”). The GPS gateway has a floating radio antenna in order to determine its exact location, and communicates with the wrist units via its underwater transducer portion, using acoustic signals. As a result of this communication, the wrist units know their range and bearing from the GPS gateway, as well as the exact position of the gateway. This allows the wrist units to calculate their own absolute position, independent of the position or motion of the GPS gateway. The gateway or the boat to which it may be attached is free to drift without affecting the position displayed by Navimate™. The position is displayed on the Navimate™ screen both as latitude and longitude values as well as a “dot”.

Other Navimate™ units within about 100 yards (90 meters) are broadcasting their position, and will be plotted as small diver icons on each other’s screens. These icons can be tagged with identifying information, as well as the diver’s depth and velocity, if desired. The location of the dive boat is also shown, as well as a compass rose with the diver’s current heading, and the heading back to the dive boat. The Navimate™ display can be zoomed in and out to change the scale of the area displayed on the screen as desired by the diver.

The acoustic communication between the Navimate™ units and the GPS gateway are relatively low-power, wideband digital signals that will have no impact on marine life – they will only be heard as a low level noise-like sound.

The local communication between the Navimate™ devices allows for features such as an “SOS” alert to the diver’s buddies, or even the sending of messages between divers.

Back
Top Bottom