Why...LDS...Why!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's what makes this kind of thing seem "personal". Since the clerk never came out to explain (I was looking on the wrong page in the price book) or apologize, there's kind of a mystery involved. Did the sales clerk deny the quote, and the owner didn't tell you this because it would imply that you (the customer) had lied?

OR - was the sales clerk stepping out of bounds by quoting you the same deal she'd witnessed the owner quote for someone a couple of days ago, and the owner didn't like it? Were you being jerked around so that the owner could make an example for the sales clerk?

I know I know, it sounds paranoid, but sometimes in small businesses, you get this vibe that there are small-time politics involved, and you're stuck in the middle. That feeling makes it uncomfortable to even want to step back into the store. I can definitely understand that.

My dad was the owner of a small Camera store from before my birth till I was about 30, and in college (and afterward), I worked in small camera stores. In my dad's case, if the person had said he'd been quoted $500, he would have honored the price, and then if it was below his cost, managed to somehow have the clerk work it off.

However, I agree that whenever you get a quote on something, ask the clerk to put it in writing. I'm bad about stuff like that too - and sometimes find myself wishing I'd had it in writing.

That's another bonus as an Online shopper - everything is documented in writing and emails.... As much as I hate to admit to online shopping (In the Camera biz we used to hate when people would come in with Shutterbug magazine asking why we couldn't meet the NY box house prices... ), when you're talking about saving $300 on a $700 item, it's hard to pass up.

But I digress - I'm sure that how the market squeezes the little guy is covered in another thread somewhere....

Knavey once bubbled...

And what exactly is the reason that they can't put the final number on a tag?

Do you ask this for all retail outlets? (cars, snowmobiles, clothes, etc.?)

An educated consumer can know what the competition is selling for. Perhaps the posted prices are for the less educated consumer.

zeN|| once bubbled...
Soorry fellas, but it is bait and switch, the lady offered the man a price, told him if he found an even lower price they would match it, that is, go and compare prices and come back at this $$-he came back, the quoted him a substantially higher price zeN

Again, I disagree.

He asked for a price, and was given one that would have likely been honored at that time.

He declined (possibly terminating the offer...) and decided to try and initiate the offer again, which was refused.

They didn't offer the price to get him into the store, did they? (which is what a bait and switch is for...)

scubasean once bubbled...

Do you ask this for all retail outlets? (cars, snowmobiles, clothes, etc.?)

An educated consumer can know what the competition is selling for. Perhaps the posted prices are for the less educated consumer.

Nope, not every outlet, just a vast majority of them. Cars...many dealers are moving to no haggle and are doing quite well at it. How many LDSs do you know that are no haggle. I would be hard pressed to find one within 100 miles of here. Never bought a snowmobile. Clothes...right...you go in and haggle over your clothes. You may buy them on sale, but you certainly didn't get a special personal price on those socks you are wearing. That clerk behind the counter didn't give you a special deal on your underwear because you were a frequent shopper. You looked at the price, made your decision to purchase, took it to the register and paid the advertised price. Whats so difficult to understand about that?

Perhaps that is why the LDS is perceived to be slowly dying on the vine. Your educated consumer is becoming more aware that the prices that he pays differ at the LDS differ from the guy that just walked out of the store before him. When I walk into Walmart, or Sears, or just about any other retail outlet, I expect to be treated just like every other customer that is in the line before and after me. Imagine for a second standing at the register purchasing your items, and the guy in front of you pays $100 dollars less for the same goods! The guy behind you pays $100 more than YOU do! Just because you are not all in the line at the same time at your local LDS, what gives them the right to change the price? The same right that you have to take your business elsewhere...right to the internet as many LDSs are finding out. Go ahead, play games with pricing...you will find me educating myself before I am in your shop, and the problem is, I know that you will more than likely never be able to match the price that I have found elsewhere (read, online).

If the local LDS had their prices posted, and I knew that I was getting the same deal as every other customer in the shop, there is a chance that I might be more inclined to drop my dough locally. Instead, I am treated like an UNEDUCATED comsumer, and the LDS continues to gamble that this consumer type will darken their doorways and continue to pay inflated prices that really could be listed more fairly on a tag hanging from the item.

Anyone out there actually have a dive shop that posts their "lowest" prices on a price tag?

You want a tag on the item, and a guarantee that you aren't paying more than anyone else...and then will still compare prices everywhere else to find the lowest and buy elsewhere is the elsewhere price is lowest....?

If the elsewhere price is lowest, do you not believe it to be a sound business practice for the LDS to attempt to keep you happy by trying to get close to the other price?

If they give you the nicer deal, the one below their posted price, does that then mean they have to lower the posted price, to sell to everyone at that lower price?

I think not...

As for the sock example, I agree that the lower priced items (bolt snaps, etc.) aren't going to be offered much differently, any more than walmart...
But when you go into the clothing store, buy the $300-$500 suit and you have room....free tie, an extra pair or two of socks...(sorry....had to do that...heh).

Why the clothing store doesn't put the final price on it, I'll never know.

Anyway, I think we both understand the various points of view...and I'm not in the scuba biz, so I can't help ya on getting it changed to how you desire it...

Cheers!

awap once bubbled...

If that were the case, why would the owner withhold such a simple and understandable explaination?

Maybe this was explained by the manager? Or maybe they didn't realize this is how the mistake was made. We don't have the details of the entire conversation.

All this is irrelavent. As others have said, a mistake was made. Get over it already. The computer is well worth the price of $629. Too many people these days want something for nothing

scubasean once bubbled...
You want a tag on the item, and a guarantee that you aren't paying more than anyone else...and then will still compare prices everywhere else to find the lowest and buy elsewhere is the elsewhere price is lowest....?

Lets add up the stores that I have shopped at in the last week and see how they differ from the LDS.

Gasoline. Shopped around...drive by 3 of them on the way to work. Have another 6 that are in close but out of the way. So lets stick with the three. I noted the cheapest was only a couple of cents less per gallon but didn't have Krispy Kreme donuts for sale so I went to the KK seller instead. Bought gas for the same price as the other 5 guys pumping gas, and paid for the donuts at the same price as the guy that walked into the shop 1/2 hour later.

McDonalds. Only fast food joint in Ft. Meade Florida since the Hardees closed so I was stuck with them since I didn't feel like mom and pop diner food last night. But I paid the same as everyone else and their prices are posted!

AutoZone. Replacing the starter on my wifes car. They punched it into a computer, and told me the selling price with core refund. I had looked online, but and found a few that were slightly cheaper, but some were rebuilds and I can at least gripe to a real person if something goes wrong so I purchased the AZ part. Again, funny how all the stuff in the store there had a price tag attached to it (literally if not figuratively in the comptur).

Barber Shop. Advertises 8 dollar haircuts on the window. Got charged...wow...8 bucks. Paid him 10 in a tip.

Walgreens. Looking for smoke alarms since I discovered one of mine has no battery backup. They had 3 models in stock, none the style I wanted but all had prices on them. Chose to go to Home Depot and see if I could do better there.

Home Depot. Smoke Detectors had about 10 or more styles...all with prices but only a couple with the dual power option. Bought them there. Didn't need to research everything on the internet because I felt I was getting a decent deal.

LDS. Any guesses at what I found there?

Didn't buy a car, or a snowmobile, or clothes this week. But if I had, even the car dealer would have a sticker on the window although I know its negotiable. Come to think of it...I wonder how many new divers realize that the price in the store is negotiable. Don't most of the LDS tout the fact that they make their money on sales to new divers. Could it be the first "screwing" that you get in the scuba business is from your LDS? Hope thats not the case!

My wife shops for my clothes at stores that have posted prices and occasionally a sale. She doesn't expect to have to haggle over the price of a pair of Levi's or a shirt. She also doesn't expect to have the salesperson throw in a pair of socks or a tie (only time I wear those is when I am at church) which is less often that I actually would like to be.

Again, my question is What is so difficult about being upfront with pricing? I actually DON'T understand the point of view about hidden prices. I suppose that is MY problem though and not the LDSs.

I'm an LDS owner and I hate to hear this. I can't believe people sometimes. I don't blame you at all for e-shopping. There are good LDS out there, I promise.

Knavey once bubbled...

Again, my question is What is so difficult about being upfront with pricing? I actually DON'T understand the point of view about hidden prices. I suppose that is MY problem though and not the LDSs.

The examples you used were primarily low cost items...much different than the high priced scuba gear issue I thought we had started with...(a Suunto computer)

I also apparently misunderstood one of the things I think you stated earlier....Now, I understand that you don't necessarily want the "final" price on the item, but the starting price will do.

And, you don't necessarily care that the price on the item is the same as the one the guy got that was 30 min ago, or you'd complain about the car dealer also.

I agree that *a* price should be on the item, to give you an understanding of where to start.

As I stated previously, you won't know where to go on the price unless you've previously done the research (which might have caused the issue to have gone away immediately, since the thread originator might have accepted the price offered at the time it was offered).

And, I can agree that your wife doesn't *have* to haggle, but what if you desire to do so? Its just one more game in life put forth by the concept of competition.

If you don't want to haggle, and the LDS has prices, then pay the posted price. I have, many times. I've also had instances where paying something less then the posted price was quite nice also.

i get pissed at the LDSs for this reason as well.

even if the price doesn't change ie: "they saw ya comin", why should i have to ASK the price of evey item in the store?
when i really get fed up i'll check the online price ( lets say $300) go in to the LDS and tell them i'll pay $330+ shipping for this item - you want to make $30 or nothing? if they say nothing i go online.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom