Why...LDS...Why!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The examples you used were primarily low cost items...much different than the high priced scuba gear issue I thought we had started with...(a Suunto computer)

That computer is only high priced because it is sold in the LDS. On LP the wrist mount vyper is $299. At Diveinn, its $290. Pretty large difference from $629. Thats one pretty sizable markup. I don't really consider that "high" priced, although I know some people would.

[BOLD]
I also apparently misunderstood one of the things I think you stated earlier....Now, I understand that you don't necessarily want the "final" price on the item, but the starting price will do.
[/B]

I would prefer they put a FAIR price on the stuff. Like in my Home Depot example, I didn't have to go track down a salesman to barter or to haggle, (although I did need one to find the stuff). When I saw the items on the shelf clearly marked with a price, I decided it was a fair price and that I would buy it there instead of heading to Walmart, or over to Lowes. For you guys that run LDSs, ANY price will do. Its actually better than nothing IMO, because it gives me the opportunity to evaluate if its worth my time to stay in the shop (for a fair price) or to walk out and go down the road to another store (for no price or for one that is rediculous).

[BOLD]
And, you don't necessarily care that the price on the item is the same as the one the guy got that was 30 min ago, or you'd complain about the car dealer also.
[/B]

Car dealers and LDSs aren't even in the same league. Never heard of anyone buying a $25,000 regulator, unless it was someone from the government or something we put on our power plants at the electric company. I do care that the guy after me walks out with a good screwin' because he paid $629 bucks for something because he was ignorant of the fact that he could have gotten it for a lot less. One day that guy could be me, and that is why I care.

[BOLD]
I agree that *a* price should be on the item, to give you an understanding of where to start.
[/B]

No argument there. Make it a fair price, and I might even pay what you are asking!

[BOLD]
As I stated previously, you won't know where to go on the price unless you've previously done the research (which might have caused the issue to have gone away immediately, since the thread originator might have accepted the price offered at the time it was offered).
[/B]

Most of the time I do my research before hand, especially if I am dropping a couple of hundred dollars on something. But lets look at my computer example. When I went to my LDS, I hadn't actually looked at the specific brand that they sold. She talked to me about the computers, but when she brought out the MSRP, I immeadiately went defensive and decided to check it out further. They lost the sale because of it. If they would have been reasonable, I would probably have closed the deal right then and there.

[BOLD]
And, I can agree that your wife doesn't *have* to haggle, but what if you desire to do so? Its just one more game in life put forth by the concept of competition.
[/B]

I don't mind haggling. Done it many times overseas. Do it much less over here. (Car buying is one place that I do it). You cannot convince me that the majority of new divers that purchase gear haggle down the prices that they find in the LDS. Most just accept it just as they do when they walk into Best Buy, CompUSA, Sears, or JCPenny.

[BOLD]
If you don't want to haggle, and the LDS has prices, then pay the posted price. I have, many times. I've also had instances where paying something less then the posted price was quite nice also. [/B]

THAT is the problem. Not one LDS around me that I have visited recently (3 of them) has posted prices on a majority of their inventory. I had to ask how much a Pelican case was the other day! Lets see what I have bought recently at the LDS (and paid more than online) that did not have a price on it. Pelican Case, 2 Dive Alerts, 2 Wetsuits, oring lube...all of these items were less than $150 each. None of them had a price tag and so you are left to haggle!

Its just my pet pieve Sean, please don't take it personally. I just have the perception that too many people are being shafted by the process as it works right now. I think too many people get shafted when they buy cars also. I know I would NEVER let my wife go to a car dealership alone to buy. Unfortunately, I would also never let her go into a dive shop and try to make a purchase of something that was listed at $629 because in her niavety (sp?) she just might pay it!

EDITED: I give up...cant get the bolds to work. Please don't hold it against me. Perhaps thats why LDSs don't have tags! They can't get them to work any better than I can!

SoCalAJ once bubbled...
Ive been in scuba sales for over three years and Ive sold many vyper computers to cusomers. The clerk quoted you the right price for the vyper. $499 is accurate for the vyper. $629 is accurate for buying the cobra. The manager was trying to mark up the vyper way to much, more than a 60% mark up. It was the stores management fault, not the associate, she quoted you the right price. When you work in retail, whatever the manager says is what goes.

AJ

Ouch! I think that about settles it!

Love the posts with this kind of data!

James

Knavey once bubbled...

Its just my pet pieve Sean, please don't take it personally.

No problem...heh

It is just a friendly discussion where we have points of disagreement.

I don't need to protect the world, and there are many more places in life where an unaware person will not do as well as one who is aware..

Also not my place to tell a business that they can't offer a product for the price they are offering it for. That is generally done in the marketplace.

BTW, if you really want to talk about a good one, lets shift to the oil biz where the price is labeled, controlled, and there isn't a dang thing you can do about it, despite the fact that the oil folks are making BILLIONS of dollars off of us... (Surely you don't really think that gas in Kansas should be less than the $2 we pay in the SF Bay Area, right? After all, the refinery is just down my street, but it takes trucks to take the refined gasoline to Kansas, and they pay much less per gallon...LOL) Lets not go there...

Dive this weekend, if you can. I got three in yesterday and feel better for it.

Cheers,

Sean

Falcon99 once bubbled...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ive been in scuba sales for over three years and Ive sold many vyper computers to cusomers. The clerk quoted you the right price for the vyper. $499 is accurate for the vyper. $629 is accurate for buying the cobra. The manager was trying to mark up the vyper way to much, more than a 60% mark up. It was the stores management fault, not the associate, she quoted you the right price. When you work in retail, whatever the manager says is what goes.

AJ
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

James

Stranger, you're new in these parts aren't you.. That is just fuel for the furnace.. It ain't even started yet:wacko:

Falcon99 once bubbled...

James

Not really. You must have missed this post.

"But this DOES explain the mistake...

$499 AMERICAN DOLLARS...customer/LDS is in CANADA...manager quoted the CANADIAN DOLLAR pricing correctly.

In a way...they were both right. "

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom