Women only?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

watergal

Reaction score
I got a PM from someone expressing reservations about replying to a post in the 'Women only' forum. Would it be a good idea to re-name the forum? I for one appreciate everyone's input and don't want anyone to feel excluded, although I also appreciate having discussions predicated upon acknowledging that women divers have some concerns different from men. I wouldn't want to see the forum dissolved.

Originally posted by watergal
I got a PM from someone expressing reservations about replying to a post in the 'Women only' forum. Would it be a good idea to re-name the forum? I for one appreciate everyone's input and don't want anyone to feel excluded, although I also appreciate having discussions predicated upon acknowledging that women divers have some concerns different from men. I wouldn't want to see the forum dissolved.

Why do we need a Women Only forum in the first place? If you want a truly Women Only forum then make it password sensitive and cross reference it to the women members profiles. The womens concerns that have been posted there are no secret and certainly aren't private from the men members so why not post them under Basic Scuba questions?

Why not have Men Only, Children Only, Instuctors Only, etc....you get my drift. If you want to re-name it, Women Preferred would be more appropriate but it won't change anything.

Women divers work hard to be accepted in this male dominated sport, on our own merits not because of our sex. Why keep segregating us?

As you can tell, I would be happy with alot fewer forums! :wink: and have probably put my foot in it again!

Ladies (and Gentlemen);

To be blunt, I like this section. Way too much information is available that is "male" oriented. Not that it is intended to be exclusionary, it just usually done on a author's POV. I watch this section with interest because I (testosterone super-charged that I may be....) I learn stuff here.

And since several of my favourit buddies are female (and one - very special buddy who has - well never mind), this forum reminds me that they have some different needs than the lads.

This forum makes me a better buddy. Please don't lose it.

I like this forum.

I suppose it could be called Women's Issues, but I think the current name works pretty well. It doesn't prevent men from posting, as far as I can see, but does encourage them to identify themselves. And I'm afraid gender does matter to me, at least on some issues.

I've tried on several 'unisex' wetsuits. I don't think they were 'unisex' until the guy in the dive shop saw me walk through the door. Now I'm wise to that one. OTOH, if a woman tells me she's been comfortable in a 'unisex' wetsuit or (more usually) BC, then I listen.

The other thing I like about this forum is that the diversity of views and opinions reminds me that there is no such thing as a 'typical' woman diver. Keeps me honest, makes me question my assumptions.

Zept

Women Divers?
Women's Water World?
Girls Night Under? (that's a joke - please don't flame!)

I enjoy having a place for women's issues, wouldn't mind if there was a corresponding place for men's issues if somone sees the need, but don't think any forum should be exclusive. Aren't we all here to share and learn?

Just my $.02...

Scuba-sass :)

I kinda like lurking here - kind of makes it naughty to be in the "Women Only" section - hee hee - where else would we have gotten some cool threads going like "Big Breast Problems" and "Bikini Line Trouble"? <S>

Seriously - As others have said - I have learned alot here too (as on many forums on Scuba Board).

Changing the name to Women's Issues sounds good to me. (I think LD will have the last word on this one...)

Sorry girls -- aren't you being a wee bit sensitive? I always get surprised when a gal expresses "outrage" over something like this.

I don't see any problem in having a forum where the focus is more on the female side of things. In fact I appreciate it. I vote to keep the forum.(if I get to vote that is) I like an area where the topics are focused for me. I say yippy - WE have our own area and the guys don't!

Watergirl if your pal has reservations of posting in this forum -- wouldn't they have the same reservations of posting else where on the board? I mean when posting a reply, you've got to expect someone to read it - and more than likely respond. What's so different in this forum?

Originally posted by DivingGal
Sorry girls -- aren't you being a wee bit sensitive? I always get surprised when a gal expresses "outrage" over something like this.

I don't see any problem in having a forum where the focus is more on the female side of things. In fact I appreciate it. I vote to keep the forum.(if I get to vote that is) I like an area where the topics are focused for me. I say yippy - WE have our own area and the guys don't!

Watergirl if your pal has reservations of posting in this forum -- wouldn't they have the same reservations of posting else where on the board? I mean when posting a reply, you've got to expect someone to read it - and more than likely respond. What's so different in this forum?

DG...What I was trying to say in my usual foot in the mouth way is the same as your last sentence..."What's so different about this forum?" I just don't see any reason to have a seperate forum for women but that's only my opinion.

Personally, I'm not outraged or sensitive to this. In fact I'm rather indifferent to it. But for years I've been hearing women complain about not being totally accepted in the mostly male scuba communities by their abilities the same way men are. I was just pointing out that this is another way they are kept seperate.

I have been waiting to post on this one because I wanted to say just the right thing.

In a lot of ways I agree with Dee and think that we will never be totally excepted if we settle for "seperate but equal" to use a historical phrase.

On the other hand when I first joined this board, I think I gravitated to the Women's section. I was waiting to see before I posted any questions elsewhere. I think having a Women's Issues forum would be less excluding of men but would also recognize that we are also different in some physiological ways.

So I guess my vote is to change the name but not the content.

Just my .02 cents. I am leaving on vacation Saturday morning so will be anxious to see what has transpired when I get back!

:bunny: KC_Scubabunny :bunny:

Originally posted by KC_Scubabunny
... On the other hand when I first joined this board, I think I gravitated to the Women's section. I was waiting to see before I posted any questions elsewhere. I think having a Women's Issues forum would be less excluding of men but would also recognize that we are also different in some physiological ways.

So I guess my vote is to change the name but not the content....

now that's closer to what I was thinking - but obviously not saying. Thanks for putting it down.

Back
Top Bottom