Worst of Cozumel.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CocoView has the worst food??? I guess I must not be as picky as my wife says when it comes to food, as I enjoyed the cooking there. 5 star heck no, not even 4, but I know I've had much worse. What other A.I. do I have to compare to? None unfortunately. Now to the important part, the Diving. Yes CocoView is great with its 24/7 diving and a great front yard, however when I did 25 dives in one week there not one of them came close to how great the "average" dive is in Cozumel in my opinion. But different terrain and marine life draws different people. I like swim throughs, turtles, sharks, rays, etc. which Cozumel rules over Roatan, while if your into sea horses and macro stuff Roatan is where its at. Again just my .02

Hi, everyone.
It's been a while since I've been here but I noticed the comments about Carlos, and wanted to put in a kind word. In my opinion (FWIW) the guy is a genius. We have been collecting shirts from him for years, and my wife and I have about 20 between us, going back to about 2004 I suppose. A few years ago I started bringing some shirts each visit for him to custom paint. These are the best, most authentic items for sale on the island.
IMG_7095.jpg
IMG_6231.jpg

Stopping at the shop is half the fun! I also have 2 of his reef pictures.

Oh yeah, things I don't like about Cozumel: last trip we were bumped from the return flight and had to spend another night on the airlines dime. The horror.

I have a bunch of his shirts, too!!!!!!

I've been to Cozumel several dozen times. I do NOT think it has world class diving compared to the best places in the Pacific. It DOES have great diving compared to most of the Carribean. The way the coral has stacked up due to the clear water is pretty unique in the world though. Not many places have coral 'towers' like the Palancar Cave area.

Some people seem to think the more trouble it is to get somewhere that the better it must be. Flying for 3 days to get somewhere does NOT automatically make someplace better. In a short 2.5 hour flight I can be in CZM.

I keep going back because the 'bang for the buck' and 'fun per dollar' is the greatest of any place I've ever been (and I've been quite a few places and spent WAY too much money diving). It is just hard to beat IMO. I love the place. Can't wait to go back. I'll go again and again.

That said, the following minor issues come to mind (no place is perfect):

* Many places try to rip you off when exchanging dollars into Pesos. You pay in dollars and then they give you change back in Pesos at an unfavorable rate. That inexpensive dinner may not be not such a deal after all.
* Questionable 'bottled water'. I have personally seen people filling bottled water jugs from hoses. If it is not sealed, I don't drink it.
* I preferred the old Carlos n Charlies. Had a unique atmosphere. It changed the Island for touristas forever when it closed.
* The nightlife is relatively 'dead'. I always manage to have a great time, but it is NOT Cancun (and that is mostly a good thing). If you are expecting NYC style nightclubs, it is not the right place. Again, I miss the old Carlos n Charlies.
* Phone/data service there is a rip off. No wonder Carlos Slim is the world's richest man.
* Chankanab is too expensive. I'd go more often if it wasn't.
* Too many captive dolphins. I personally would rather see them free and wish they would close the facilities.
* Too many divers on the popular sites now. Often wonder where they all come from as the town hasn't seemed busy while the reefs have been.
* Taxi drivers that don't observe the set rates
* Rude American tourists (mostly treating the Mexicans poorly)
* I do NOT want a 'free jeep' for only 1 hour of my time.
* Too many cruise boats that have created a 'feast and famine' mentality. Alot of the island now seems to cater specifically to the cruisers and almost 'roll up' the place when the boats aren't in.
* Mega and Chedraui seem to have hurt the small shops. Much like Walmart has done in the US.
* More drug dealers/hawkers than there used to be. Not sure if that is because the town is bigger, the Mexican cartels are more active, or maybe I look like I need them more than I used to
* More divers at the advanced sites. As some of the 'mid island' sites were damaged by the hurricanes, more and more operators seem to be taking people to places only a few people went before (or belonged)

The list of why it is a great place is MUCH longer. To each his own. I personally will mostly ignore the 'not so good' and enjoy the 'definitely is good/great' of Cozumel and go back again and again.

Hi, everyone.
It's been a while since I've been here but I noticed the comments about Carlos, and wanted to put in a kind word. In my opinion (FWIW) the guy is a genius. We have been collecting shirts from him for years, and my wife and I have about 20 between us, going back to about 2004 I suppose. A few years ago I started bringing some shirts each visit for him to custom paint. These are the best, most authentic items for sale on the island.
View attachment 168063
View attachment 168064

Oh yeah, things I don't like about Cozumel: last trip we were bumped from the return flight and had to spend another night on the airlines dime. The horror.

I am definitely going to check out this guy's shop when in Coz next month. Do you know if his store has a name and if he has a website? Thanks in advance

I think it was my second trip to Coz. Went with a small group of friends and we stayed at some bungalows just up the street from either Aldora or one of the re-compression chambers. This was a few days after Thanksgiving and about three or four weeks after that big hurricane that laid waste to the area. I think it was Katrina but don't quote me on that. Anyway, the bungalows were nice except for one small detail. The hot water tank didn't work. So we were forced to take cold showers for nearly the whole week. I know it could have been worse. But it IS a real bummer to not have a hot shower you know. B.

Can't find any cold water from a tap on the whole island. Always 65 or warmer. Need cool water showers during the summer when temp and humidity are high.

Where might one find Carlos and his creations? We are visiting in December...........

Hi, everyone.
View attachment 168063
View attachment 168064

If you are wandering near the plaza and the pedestrian area, you can find Carlos pretty easily. I think he is on Salas between Melgar and Avenida 5. He is on one of the blocks just south of the pedestrian area.

So if you head south along the pedestrian street at the back of the plaza, you turn right, watch on your right and walk toward the waterfront. If you get there without finding him, turn left, walk another block south, then turn left again and walk a block away from the water on Calle 3. Keep a lookout to your left. You'll find him by seeing his art in front of his store.

Hope that helps. Otherwise, you've enjoyed a nice walk. :)

His studio is next door to la mission restaurant.

Lionfish-eater said:
His studio is next door to la mission restaurant.​

And not a bad place to grab a bite......:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom