Wreck HMS Hermes in Sri Lanka

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Entire Month of April and early May current was extremely strong. Now since about a week sea in Batticaloa (EAST Coast) provides ideal conditions to dive the HMS and to take photographs Mornings no current like in April. vis 35 m. At it's best. From the hang up of 12m I could see the wreck. Temp 28 C. Little less marine life. But still more to see.
srilanka-divingtours.com
Feli

He is clear in what He asks and clear in what He offers. The choice is up to us.Isn't it

Well having just returned from the Hermes I can confirm very mild to no currents, flat seas and 30m viz :)

Generally mid May to end June has the best conditions off Batticaloa where the Hermes is.

Well having just returned from the Hermes I can confirm very mild to no currents, flat seas and 30m viz :)

Generally mid May to end June has the best conditions off Batticaloa where the Hermes is.
That's great to hear Nishan! I'm going to combine my next trip out to Sri Lanka with a nice relaxing liveaboard in the Maldives for rest and recovery afterwards, should I ever have to deal with those currents again on the Hermes. . .:wink:

Yeah the currents can rip at times. But thats Sri Lanka. Conditions vary a lot. I have almost always had good conditions in late May and June so maybe next time you should plan for those months. Our first dive this time we could see the ship from the 6m deco stop! September is also a good month with decent viz, manageable currents and great marine life.

I read your report and the point about a mooring. Problem is that fishermen cut them off as they get entangled in drift nets. We have tried it in a few places and always lose them within a few days. And yes Sri Lanka does have the biggest and fattest lionfish I have seen anywhere. There is a small wreck in Colombo with about 25 that follow you around like dogs!

Hi Divers,

Hermes is waiting for you. when Kevin dives in April the current was extremely strong. Now since about two weeks the current is minimum in the morning hours. We even had more than 35m vis.
Temp 30 C. see the latest pictures taken a week ago. visit. srilanka-divingtours.com and click gallery and the latest pictures.
happy diving
Feli

Excellent Visibility. Had the glimpse of the wreck from 12m. No current that morning. After noon we had to fight the current. It's the usual practice. Little less marine life. Temp at 45m 27 C' Still 3mm shorty was comfortable.
for the latest picz visit srilanka-divingtours.com and click the gallery. Both the groups in April had to fight the current groups in may had mixed luck. the group of just six divers in June are enjoying. Strong current at times. Daily temp rises to 34 C'
We bottom time 30 mins and deko on Eanx 50% over 40 mins. Always need to drift for over 1 km or could be more. An SMB a must. REcently located and and identified a range finder, the chains of the anchors., toilets of the bow. Authorities have advised divers not to bring anything from the wreck to the surface without the witten permission of the Commissioner of Archaeology in Sri Lanka. Everything you find on the wreck belongs to the war grave. The group of divers with their re-breathers enjoyed the dives very much. Two dive a day for a group of 8 divers !! Not an easy task to organize the logistics. The patience and support given by the divers really an encouragement. Now we use 25 hp out board motors. In the near future intend to use 40hp out board motors to further reduce the elapse time. Season will come to in October. September onwards the lagoon mouth the entry point from the lagoon to the Ocean will be blocked by a sand bank formation due to the low levels fo the lagoon water. It will remain closed until the end of November or December. MOnsoon rains will make the water level of the lagoon to rise and the sand bank will brake and the entry pint will again be open for nine months.
This has been the happening all the time. September onwards only one long dive a day has been planned. Twins plus one more for bottom gas plus one or two stage tanks.

Happy diving

Part from the wreck hermes there are two more wrecks worth diving. Those are the boiler wrecks. Still noone could properly identify. Some fishermen say that the Captain of the boiler wreck managed to survive and he built the church over looking the lagoon.
Actually there are two wrecks.
The one usually easy to find has five boilers. and two props. Usually a powerful vessel. Some of the wreck diving experts who dived the hermes thought it could be the HMS Athelstine.
Just a few meters away from the one with five blioers has another ship with three boilers.
Certainly the first one should have been a war ship. If it is not a war ship she does not need five boilers. Just three will suffice.
Need to carry out some research to identify.

Happy diving.

Thank you Liam (dive center bondi from Australia)
You and your guys were great. Your positive approach, assistance and the co-operation during the last weeks Hermes dives were excellent. You were also lucky. vis was good only the last day you experienced current. Best wishes and greetings from me and my team. We look forward to see you next year.
best regards
Feli

charles town divers !!

We are anxiously waiting to provide our best services for you,
The current is not very strong in August. visibility will be great. Look forward to see you guys.
Feli

Back
Top Bottom