Wrist or console

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

but if it runs out of battery you'll have to surface because you won't be able to know how much air you have left

If the battery dies on a computer you have to surface anyway. (No computer I know of will let you start a dive it cannot finish so it's kind of a moot point underwater)

Both here.

Cold water (using a DS) - console. Warm water - either. I really hate getting my BC on/off with a computer on my wrist....

To be perfectly honest, this is one of those debates - like long (5-7') hose vs short (standard) hose, and to a lesser extent, BPW vs Jacket - that I just don't get

Like most divers, I started out with rental jacket, short hose and console. Since changing, I've never looked back, and in my experience at least you won't meet many divers who have

If a new diver asks me what to buy first, my answer is first a good mask and second a nitrox-capable wrist computer. For <$300 you can have two items that are personal, portable and can make a HUGE difference to how much you enjoy your diving (compared to rental gear). Your own wetsuit and fins are nice but much bulkier and not as big a difference IMO

YMMV

Wrist computer.

It's easy to read just like looking at your watch. It isn't dangling below or behind you. It provides less of a snag hazard. It easily goes with you everywhere and if it has a gauge mode it can even carry you into pretty advanced diving later.

I prefer wrist mounted. Easier accessibility, meaning you don't need to keep unclipping or taking out your gauge if you want to check depth or time.

Easier to travel with if you just wanted to bring your computer (although one could argue that most people wouldn't travel without their own regulators). I've been in situations where people had to swap out regulators on boats when they had issues, it's much easier to do this if your computer is not a attached to your console.

I choose wrist. It's easier to glance at on the fly if you take up the stereotypical DIR body stance when diving. If you keep your arms clasped to your sides then your computer is just an arm raise away (the same if you're using a console).
I'll list a few pros and cons below

Pros of a Wrist
- Ease of viewing in multiple positions
- No console to dangle
- Frees space on your D-ring (if you use an 2.0-2.5in analog SPG or no SPG)
- Computer hand is naturally free

Cons of Wrist
- Easy to leave it at home until you develop a habit of remembering it
- Easy to leave in an area where it can get crushed (developing habits can prevent this)
- Air shares using a Roman handshake or do-si-do now become complicated (can't view your computer well)
- You may lose all ability to look at your computer if you have to use your butt dump (dependent on your wrist and BC set up)

Pros of Console
- Standard practice with Basic OW, everyone is familiar with it's set up
- Not as easy to lose
- All gauges, compass, and computer can be in one place
- Air shares can be done in any position (viewing your computer is a different story however; dependent on the situation and your setup)

Cons of Console
- Having gauges, compass, and computer on one side is extremely bulky
- Having 2:1 on either side is still bukly (ie. computer & air gauge on one side, compass on the other)
- D-ring space is hogged by 1 console
- Must break your body position to view your computer => trim and buoyancy may break as a result
- Computer hand isn't naturally free (some setups can sort of keep your hand free, but you're still using your arm to view the computer and therefore lack full arm movement)

Last edited:
I think, no matter where you put your computer, it is highly desirable to be able to view it more or less constantly, especially during ascents. Being able to view it AND retain the use of both hands AND a view of your surroundings and your buddy is highly desirable, too. You can do this with a console, if you are creative in how you clip it across your BC, but putting the gauge on your right wrist makes it quite natural. You can use your left hand to lift your inflator hose or pull your dump, and keep your right wrist in view all the time. For me, this made buoyancy control much easier.

Aren't there models of computers that can be mounted in both places? I seem to remember seeing some that you could use on your wrist with a wrist strap made to mount it. This is the probable route for me. I will buy one with a SPG in a console. Then, get the wrist mount and try it out there also. If I like it on the wirst, I will replace the spot on the console with a compass.

Something like this:
Wrist Mount Boot Style

Anyone have any experience with these?

cwhite6:
I will buy one with a SPG in a console. Then, get the wrist mount and try it out there also. If I like it on the wirst, I will replace the spot on the console with a compass.

And then, you'll consider a wrist mount compass? ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom