Wrist or console

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Imagine for yourself!!!

While scuba diving! What would be more easier for you? To locate for the console or simply look at your hand as is if "for the time"?

I personally use the Oceanic Atom 2.0 with wireless transmitter.

Have fun diving and enjoy!!!

put it on the wrist. To avoid having to look at the SPG for remaining air and your wrist computer for other stuff, bungee the SPG to your wrist.

:laughing: why not bungee your console to your wrist? :rofl3:

A few folks who enjoy utilizing the snap bolt apparently "clip" everything onto a D-ring somewhere. I've used a console for 20 years. That's how I was taught and that's what I'm comfortable with ... to each their own. But this year I decided to try a retractor. Attached the retractor to my console and clipped it to my right chest D-ring. So, whenever I wanted info, I pull it out, give it a glance and let it go. Back, secure close to my chest. No dangly console, spg, or whatever (danglies are a bad thing.) Unfortunately my current computer is air only (it's old) and I'm looking for a modern computer. I'm just about decided that any computer either has to be next to your spg in a console or be air integrated to give you the whole story in a single glance. Having backup (spg, computer, et al) is always a good thing. You just have to figure out where to put everything so you don't look like a scuba store display mannequin.

So, my vote is (drum roll) AI wrist computer with backup spg ... no, wait, I forgot about the AI console, that's cool too... too many choices. Do what you think best.

Wear it on wrist. It is easier to look at it. Imagine only that you need to both deflate your BC for ascending and look at the computer (and the computer is a console). Not nice.

Although I agree that a wrist mount is the way to go, the potential problem you posed here only exists if the console is mounted on the left... which I would never suggest for just that reason.

Before using the retractor, how was your console attached/stowed/whatever?

My OW instructor taught us to cradle our console in our left hand, overlap our right hand and pull them both toward our mid-section (Octo is clipped to the right side.) This way we could be horizontal, avoid any 'danglies' to protect the reef, and be perfectly maneuverable without using our hands. Danglies and waving hands under water make me crazy and lead me to believe that diver has little clue of what they are doing. I still dive in that position but now the retractor holds the console and my hands are just clasped together around my belly for comfort. I have tried the DIR method with the clasped wrist out in front, but didn't see any extra benefit or comfort. I suppose if you had a wrist computer you could easily see it from that position but I'd still want to know what my PSI was.

I agree with the wrist mount. it keeps your hands free, making it easier to monitor depth when doing drills and ascents. It also reduces movements when swimming . Watching the display while keeping my hands crossed has helped me with buoyancy / depth control.

I suppose if you had a wrist computer you could easily see it from that position but I'd still want to know what my PSI was.

How often do you need to check your SPG? My depth can vary enormously and very quickly, but my pressure generally drifts downward in a pretty predictable fashion. I have never seen the need to check my pressure more often than every 5 minutes, and depending on dive and tank size, I may check it more like every ten.

The hands-out-in-front position with wrist computers gives you a "dashboard" of instruments you can reference as easily as you reference the instruments in your car -- just an eye movement changes between your environment and your gauges. I like that.

My OW instructor taught us to cradle our console in our left hand, overlap our right hand and pull them both toward our mid-section (Octo is clipped to the right side.) This way we could be horizontal, avoid any 'danglies' to protect the reef, and be perfectly maneuverable without using our hands. Danglies and waving hands under water make me crazy and lead me to believe that diver has little clue of what they are doing. I still dive in that position but now the retractor holds the console and my hands are just clasped together around my belly for comfort. I have tried the DIR method with the clasped wrist out in front, but didn't see any extra benefit or comfort. I suppose if you had a wrist computer you could easily see it from that position but I'd still want to know what my PSI was.

Thanks for that complete response. That does seem to be a good way to still people's hands. Out here, it has become commonplace to see consoles over the diver's shoulder fastened down together with the inflator hose in the shoulder epaulet, at least in typical rental setups.

What this means is that when people do an ascent they reach for the inflator and the console and lift them together.

(I only have really short HP hoses (24" for under the left arm, or 20" for over the right shoulder) so I have not had a chance to see how the regular length HP hosedraped over the left shoulder would work out.)

I am a fan of wrist mounted. I have my Subgear XP-10 on my right wrist (forearm really) and my gauge console clipped on my chest. I just have to look down for my pressure and the rest is on my wrist. I actually put a dive watch on my inflater hose so that I can easily see my stop times.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom