Wrist or console

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How often do you need to check your SPG?

:) I understand what you are saying, TSandM, but I'd argue that you can never check your SPG too often... :)

To all, and I really mean it , thanks for all of the angles and such. However I am still on the fence so I bought a used Aeris XR-2 nx console that will give me the option to wrist mount if I desire. I am still a little bit of an air hog so at this point I do check my SPG about every 5-10 minutes or more. A lot of the points brought forward here have opened the window on where and why, but also seem to be a user preference. I guess I'll figure it out and with the unit I bought have those options. Again, THANKS to all posters and safe diving to all.

How often do you need to check your SPG? My depth can vary enormously and very quickly, but my pressure generally drifts downward in a pretty predictable fashion. I have never seen the need to check my pressure more often than every 5 minutes, and depending on dive and tank size, I may check it more like every ten.

The hands-out-in-front position with wrist computers gives you a "dashboard" of instruments you can reference as easily as you reference the instruments in your car -- just an eye movement changes between your environment and your gauges. I like that.

The wrist mounted computer people keep the compass on the other wrist. So now both wrists are occupied. Now if you want a light on a Goodman handle there's a clash on the wrist. The wrist is valuable real estate in diving. I also keep a mirror around my wrist.

Personally my ideal setup would be a compact AI console (like the Cobra or the Cobalt) with a compass, and a backup computer on the right wrist. And I manage my console with a small retractor so nothing needs to be unclipped.

Adam

The wrist mounted computer people keep the compass on the other wrist

Now there's a sweeping generalisation... there are plenty of 'wrist' mount people who don't do that. Also it's worth noting that 'wrist' mount doesn't have to mean on the wrist... bungee mounts work well on your forearm too

I'd argue that you can never check your SPG too often...

Not to derail the thread, but I disagree. Air doesn't just vanish, if you had 100 bar 60 seconds ago there's no need to check it again. To make a sweeping generalisation of my own, a lot of people spend too much time looking at their SPG and not enough time looking at their buddy and the environment

Now there's a sweeping generalisation... there are plenty of 'wrist' mount people who don't do that. Also it's worth noting that 'wrist' mount doesn't have to mean on the wrist... bungee mounts work well on your forearm too

Not to derail the thread, but I disagree. Air doesn't just vanish, if you had 100 bar 60 seconds ago there's no need to check it again. To make a sweeping generalisation of my own, a lot of people spend too much time looking at their SPG and not enough time looking at their buddy and the environment

It's true you can suspend a compass with retractor, but the wrist mounters generally are antiretractor-- it's just not a tech thing to do. While the bungee mount can be slid up to the forearm, I've got my Aquasketch slate on the left forearm.

It's a point that the SPG does not need to be checked as often as the computer, but then you have to remember to check the SPG at another time. With all gauges in one place one glance takes care of all the gauge checking to enjoy the fishes.

Adam

It's true you can suspend a compass with retractor, but the wrist mounters generally are antiretractor-- it's just not a tech thing to do. While the bungee mount can be slid up to the forearm, I've got my Aquasketch slate on the left forearm.

I assume from your slate that you're right handed so I would suggest you try computer/bottom timer on right wrist, compass on right forearm and slate on left forearm (actually I would suggest ditch the slate and use wetnotes, but that's another story). If you ever decide to go to a can light it will work as well

It's a point that the SPG does not need to be checked as often as the computer, but then you have to remember to check the SPG at another time. With all gauges in one place one glance takes care of all the gauge checking to enjoy the fishes

Eh, it's not that hard really. Whether you have your SPG clipped off on the hip DIR-style, to a chest d-ring, on a console or AI on your wrist, it only takes ~3 seconds to check it. On rec dives I usually only look at mine in at the start, middle and end of the dive

How often do you need to check your SPG? My depth can vary enormously and very quickly, but my pressure generally drifts downward in a pretty predictable fashion. I have never seen the need to check my pressure more often than every 5 minutes, and depending on dive and tank size, I may check it more like every ten.

The hands-out-in-front position with wrist computers gives you a "dashboard" of instruments you can reference as easily as you reference the instruments in your car -- just an eye movement changes between your environment and your gauges. I like that.
Good points, depending on where you dive. Very few times in my diving career have I been in a 'no bottom' situation. I'm usually doing shore dives these days, so for my depth to change drastically I would have to be going shallow, not deep, unless I brought a shovel. So, for me anyway, I'm more concerned about becoming preoccupied and forgetting to monitor my air than I am my depth. The multi-level profiles we dive give us more time than air. I will run out of time someday (be dead) but that will surely be hastened by running out of air unexpectedly.

{replies on SB tend to be slanted by personal experience :D }

Although I agree that a wrist mount is the way to go, the potential problem you posed here only exists if the console is mounted on the left... which I would never suggest for just that reason.
I keep seeing this argument and I really don't understand it. I can dump air from my BC (the rare times I have any in it) and still see my computer just fine. Also, I dump air with both my left and right hand so I don't see how it makes any difference...

Now if you want a light on a Goodman handle there's a clash on the wrist.

Huh? I always dive a light on a Goodman handle, and it has nothing at all to do with my wrist compass. Goodman handles go across the back of the hand, well below the wrist.

I agree that, if you are doing terrain-based shore diving, being able to monitor your depth gauge constantly is less important. But if you are doing direct ascents, as we do on our charter boat dives (where there is no upline, because all our charters are live boat), and especially if you are doing them in reduced visibility, so you don't have a good visual reference, being able to monitor gauges is pretty important.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom