Wrist or console

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd say it's a personal preference. Those who dive with wrist mounted have learned to overcome the cons of the wrist mounted and don't know how to use a console, and perhaps vice versa.

I have one on the console and one on the right wrist. For shore diving I'm often looking at my compass on the console so it's easy to look at the other gauges there. It's good to have one place to see the air, compass and computer. It's nice to have two computers anyway. When ascending I tend to hold the inflator in left hand and look at the Vyper on the right wrist.

Adam

About the time I got trapped with my arm in a hole by my wrist computer (lobster diving) I thought to myself, "gear should match the task you are about to perform". No piece of equipment is the perfect choice for every environment/diver. However, there is a piece of equipment that is best suited to most of the diving you do.

So which configuration will match what your are doing better? You will get used to either method; both methods meet the basic needs; but what do YOU want out of its performance? What is most important? Do you take pictures in midwater so that a distraction might throw your buoyancy off & you need your depth gauge at a place next to your hands so you will check it after every shot? Are you a person who has to do everything in order & any hiccup will throw you off; i.e. do you forget a lot of stuff?

Figure out what your needs are, the rest usually falls into place.

put it on the wrist. To avoid having to look at the SPG for remaining air and your wrist computer for other stuff, bungee the SPG to your wrist.

nice touch picking the worst possible demonstration as "typical'.....

No to mention the confusion of what the picture/poster is supposed to be saying. The diver has a wrist computer and a dangly gauge. So not only can the console get caught on everything, but also the wrist computer can get caught on the BCD when donning.

Cons of Wrist
- Air shares using a Roman handshake or do-si-do now become complicated (can't view your computer well)

Pros of Console
- Air shares can be done in any position (viewing your computer is a different story however; dependent on the situation and your setup)

I strongly disagree with this. I prefer a wrist computer on my right wrist so that during an air share I can see both my computer and my buddy's face at the same time, without interfering with my ability to dump air or be assertive with the OOG diver. This cannot be done with a console.

I like it on my wrist where I can look at it like a watch. While ascending, it is easier to access than having to unclip it from my harness. If you choose a wrist mount, I would suggest a bungee mount. IF you lose a pin in the wrist band, you may lose your computer. It one of your bungies fails, you still have another bungee to keep your computer on your wrist.

i like it on my wrist...tanks have been "set"on my kit in small boats.....
but never on my hand...
ok, maybe a couple times on my hand...!!!!
pros and cons with each
that prodigy pops into a console or into that wrist mount you used
i know.......buy two!!!!(it's all about the sales dude!!!!!)
have fun tony!
yaeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom