Wrist vs Console

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stirling:
The only problem now is that, with what my eyes are doing to me recently, I'm going to need longer arms, or a console on a 7' hose (and a stick to hold it out there) so I can read the gauges properly. Either my near-vision correction is going to have to be adjusted, or I'm going to drop my left eye contact entirely so I can read things right in front of me. This is messed up.
When I dive, I switch to bi-focal contacts. That works for me.

I use a non-AI Computer on the right wrist, compass on the left. SPG (no console or boot) with a short hose on left hip d-ring. Makes everything so much easier to see when I need it. And no extra hose length to create drag or entanglement hazard.

If you get an AI computer, I would also suggest an analog SPG as a backup. Accurate gas pressure is just too important.

Well, I'm still a brick-on-a-rope kinda guy.
04.gif
SPG, computer, and (yes) compass in a console. Carefully clipped up and non-dangling.

I tried the computer on a wrist mount, but didn't like it. For me, it was too much stuff on wrists... computer, compass, watch... I just personally don't like all that stuff strapped on. YMMV.

When surfacing, I hold the console with my right hand to keep an eye on the computer (hose is (barely) long enough), with left hand on the BC deflator. I admit it would be more convenient then to have the computer on my wrist, but not convenient enough to do it all the time.

I may change my mind as time goes on, but that's it for now.

--Marek

Stirling:
The only problem now is that, with what my eyes are doing to me recently, I'm going to need longer arms, or a console on a 7' hose (and a stick to hold it out there) so I can read the gauges properly. Either my near-vision correction is going to have to be adjusted, or I'm going to drop my left eye contact entirely so I can read things right in front of me. This is messed up.

"This is messed up..." Ok - I'm cracking up. Man. Console on a 7-footer... nice. What, when it gets really bad you move to a niner, maybe a hooka? Feeling your pain.

Maybe the buddy-mounted AI console? A pole spear, perhaps?

I can see it now...

Stirling: (shouting underwater)... "DUDE.. come back, I need to know where my NDL is right now, dammit... Shoot. I should get a stick and just be a solo diver..."

---
Ken

Damselfish:
Computer on wrist, another in console along with SPG and analog depth gauge (Don't really trust AI.) Having everything in one unit has it's points but find it much easier to look at the computer on the wrist.

Same for me, but without the analog depth gauge (backup computer is enough for me). I wear computer on the INSIDE of my wrist, so I can see it while holding my camera.

On the wrist now, SPG clipped off, Non-AI (too expensive for me).

Streamline, ease of checking, keeps front clean (back inflate BC), easy to carry away to shade, logbook or computer. Easier to stow or pack regulators.

Definitely prefer it, would not go back.

By the way, if you are worried about "forgetting" to take your computer, you can strap it to your BC inflator hose between dives. Assuming it is water activated, it will go with you even if you forget it - then when you remember, just take it off the hose and put it on your wrist.

jakubson:
Same for me, but without the analog depth gauge (backup computer is enough for me). I wear computer on the INSIDE of my wrist, so I can see it while holding my camera.
what was I thinking, no analog depth gauge anymore, that was the old console...just the other computer. Compass on the back of the console, I'm actually not crazy about it there, but I don't need it often enough that I want something else to put on my wrist.

atom on the wrist. datatrans+ hanging on retractor from BC. both AI. Might move DT+ to wrist as well, but it is in the console that holds my compass... need to figure this out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom