Wrist vs Console

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inman:
When I dive, I switch to bi-focal contacts. That works for me.

Yeah, I just started this last year with these throwaway contacts (wear them once and toss them), with the left eye adjusted for near vision - more or less - and the right for mid to long range vision. It actually works pretty well for most things, but the left eye correction is not where it needs to be for reading stuff right in front of me, because it's a compromise between near and mid-distance. I've been getting by with this arrangement, but I think I'm going back to reconsider bi-focal contacts (an option I passed on when I decided to try this).

I've done both & both work fine - but I prefer the wrist mount for me (and I have used both AI and without - either way is also fine). I wouldn't get too hung up on it either way. Clipped off properly, the console is no worse than the SPG. If you stop to think about it, you'll probably find that the best arrangement for you (that will minimize hoses and gear) is to go with an SPG clipped off to the left rear (hopefully off a D-ring just off your back plate on your webbing) and a wrist mounted computer (when you need it) on the right top forearm.

I had a console mount for 14 years, but when I replaced my old Monitor 2, I decided to go Versa Pro wrist. It is much easier to use, never have to fumble for it, so I only have the SPG on the hose now. I don't like AI computers, so that isn't an issue for me.

I think we have a winner. I feel wearing your computer on your right arm and compass on your left just makes sense. It is so much easier to keep track of everything,which for some is much harder than others. LOL

jonnythan:
Consoles are the dumbest thing in scuba diving.

:)

I've met some divers that were far dumber than a console. They could make a brick seem smart. :wink:

OE2X:
I've met some divers that were far dumber than a console. They could make a brick seem smart. :wink:
Dude, Uncle Pug isn't going to be happy to hear that you think so highly of him.

orangelion03:
Novice (O/W cert, AO/W next month) contemplating purchasing a computer. In class we use console mounted units, instructor uses wrist mount with analog depth gauge on a console.

So what is your preference and why?

Thanks!

Wrist:

1) easier to read
2) one less hose
3) easy to switch to a different reg if my first one goes crazy
4) It's also ON YOUR WRIST which means its not going to get crushed or splatted against a deck or cylinder during surface interval.
5) It's easier to sit down with when making notes in your dive log.
6) They are smaller and easier to conceal in dive bags
7) you can put them in small crush proof pelican cases for travel.
8) They are easier to change the batteries.

I also use a stainless steal pressure guage attached by hose. Again, more robust and sturdy than plastic ones, it's also a lot cheaper than using an air integrated computer. For the price of one air-integrated wireless dive computer I could buy several wrist mounted non-ai dive computers and several stainless steal depth guages.

Yes, wrist mount works.

I have an AI hoseless on my right wrist (I was so innocent then...) ...and a plain spg clipped on my waist at the left.

Next time I'm not getting anything that can't be put on a bungee wrist strap, which is what I've done to my compass. Just pull it on! Awesome. At the surface, you can loop it through a D-ring and it doesn't get lost.

HIH doole, bungee fetishist

bluewatertoy:
I think we have a winner. I feel wearing your computer on your right arm and compass on your left just makes sense. It is so much easier to keep track of everything,which for some is much harder than others. LOL

I wear them on the same wrist, right next to each other.

OE2X:

jonnythan:
Dude, Uncle Pug isn't going to be happy to hear that you think so highly of him.

dude, OE2X is talking about *me*

i can make *two* bricks look smart, easy :dazzler1:

Back
Top Bottom