Wrist vs Console

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, although I use wrist gauges, I don't personally see anything wrong with consoles as long as they're stowed properly so that they don't dangle and can be easily accessed and used.

One big advantage to a console computer is that it's much more difficult for someone to pick it up and walk off with it during surface interval ... and at two of our most popular dive sites around here, wrist computers have a nasty habit of "growing legs". Another is that it is very unlikely you'll head off on your dive and realize after you start your dive that you left your gauges in the car (as I did on a dive not too long ago).

The selection of a dive computer is always going to involve making trade-offs ... there is no such thing as "best", it depends on the diver's individual needs.

Understand what the trade-offs are, and focus more on the features and design of the computer than on how it's mounted. And remember that it's not a substitute for your brain ... learn to use it as a tool, rather than depending on it to tell you how to plan and execute your dive. In which case, regardless of the configuration you choose, it will serve you well.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

doole:
Next time I'm not getting anything that can't be put on a bungee wrist strap, which is what I've done to my compass. Just pull it on! Awesome. At the surface, you can loop it through a D-ring and it doesn't get lost.

HIH doole, bungee fetishist

By bungee strap do you mean an elastic band? Was this something you made or purchased? Though not certain I's want to do that for the comp, I like the idea for the compass.

By the way, as the originator of this thread, I appreciate everyone's responses and comments. Though I am personaly in favor of the wrist mount (Just ordered an Atmos 2 from Scuba Toys...thanks for the advise and comments Larry!!! :thumbs-up ), I did recall seeing a comment in another thread that gives the advantage to the console mount: when monitoring your com, you can easily check your air and visey versey.

Cheers all!!

:monkeydan :mfight: We need more dancing monkeys

orangelion03:
By bungee strap do you mean an elastic band? Was this something you made or purchased? Though not certain I's want to do that for the comp, I like the idea for the compass.

1/4" shock cord. Made it. Used a steel clamp on the shock cord which is positioned inside the boot.

Should work just as well for anything wrist-mounted.

I enjoyed the thread, too.

I think you could have gotten bungee from Larry. Elastic from a fabric store will work but not sure about durablility. Some boat stores care it as well, not most.

I use surgical tubing for both compass and computer (two loops on each). For compass, I just Crazy Glued the blunt-cut ends flush together with pressure,. For the computer, I crazy glued the tubing to some pieces of zip ties bent in a loop through the back of the computer. Here's a picture of the computer. For more than a couple hundred dives have only had to repair one of the four loops.

Marek K:
Well, I'm still a brick-on-a-rope kinda guy.
04.gif
SPG, computer, and (yes) compass in a console. Carefully clipped up and non-dangling.

I tried the computer on a wrist mount, but didn't like it. For me, it was too much stuff on wrists... computer, compass, watch... I just personally don't like all that stuff strapped on. YMMV.

When surfacing, I hold the console with my right hand to keep an eye on the computer (hose is (barely) long enough), with left hand on the BC deflator. I admit it would be more convenient then to have the computer on my wrist, but not convenient enough to do it all the time.

I may change my mind as time goes on, but that's it for now.

--Marek

I don't get it. How do you know where you are going or how deep you are?
Seems like having that info right in front of you so you can always see it is better than having it off behind you somewhere.

crpntr133:
I am totally surprised at the one sidedness of this thread. I thought for sure that we would have an argument about which was better, wrist or console and then AI vs. non-AI. Looks like most are wrist and non-AI.

I would trust AI when I can breathe water.

orangelion03:
Novice (O/W cert, AO/W next month) contemplating purchasing a computer. In class we use console mounted units, instructor uses wrist mount with analog depth gauge on a console.

So what is your preference and why?

Thanks!

I'm an oldfashioned kind of guy, I just don't trust computers of whatever ilk.

More importantly I prefer to think for myself and not leave the thinking to something that may, or may not work and which is dependent on an algorithm that may, or may not, work for me. Dive tables don't break, at least not any that I've seen.

To put it another way, I prefer to know in advance what kind of trouble I'm likely to get into _before_ I get into it.

Yes, computers do have their uses, particularly on multi-level dives over multiple days - if you trust the algorithms.

I don't like, an entirely personal thing, nothing to do with technique, clutter on my wrists so there's an Aqualand on the left one and an SPG and Uwatec Bottom Timer (IMO a great piece of kit) in the console, properly tucked in.

Christian

Oh yes - this is my first post - howdy everybody.

ChristianG:
I'm an oldfashioned kind of guy, I just don't trust computers of whatever ilk.

More importantly I prefer to think for myself and not leave the thinking to something that may, or may not work and which is dependent on an algorithm that may, or may not, work for me. Dive tables don't break, at least not any that I've seen.

To put it another way, I prefer to know in advance what kind of trouble I'm likely to get into _before_ I get into it.

Yes, computers do have their uses, particularly on multi-level dives over multiple days - if you trust the algorithms.

I don't like, an entirely personal thing, nothing to do with technique, clutter on my wrists so there's an Aqualand on the left one and an SPG and Uwatec Bottom Timer (IMO a great piece of kit) in the console, properly tucked in.

Christian

Oh yes - this is my first post - howdy everybody.
Howdy, Christian!
Welcome to the board - posting, that is. Based on your first post, I look forward to reading more. :eyebrow:

limeyx:
I don't get it. How do you know where you are going or how deep you are?
Seems like having that info right in front of you so you can always see it is better than having it off behind you somewhere.

Dive behind someone with a brick. Most (read it again: MOST) brick divers look at it before they giant stride, may glance at it somewhere in the middle of the dive (but not always) and then look at it again on the way up. There isn't a brickie I've dived with that is reading their gauge at regular intervals (say, 1 -2 minutes at the start, and maybe 5 minutes throughout the middle to the end.)

I dive with a lot of Brickies - they're all over the place, because in the big blue ocean, its tough to tell the difference between 50 FSW and 60 FSW. If you're not looking at your depth gauge regularly you're guessing. Its that simple.

Its a hassle digging it out, pulling it over or whatever else is required to bring brick to grill - so they (read: most) simply don't. I can't tell you the number of times I've just quizzed a brickie... sidle up and flash a question on my wetnotes, "what's our depth...?" only to get the blank stare and a wild guess that isn't 5 - 10 feet within range. Sometimes its close, once in a while its nailed, but more often than not (especially with insta buddies who I haven't pulled this on, yet) its more of a meander to these people than a dive.

I've tried to look at it logically, rationally, and with an open mind - even applying some wacky equipment bonding thing that won't let a person give up something that really doesn't work well, but is comfortable - but I just don't get the brick.

Rick nailed it early on. In a thread some time ago, about the best thing you learned from ScubaBoard (I believe UP's was shaving with cold water...) I put my number one as moving to wrist mounted gauges. Its not about what it is (computer or Bottom timer, AI or non-AI... whatever - we can debate that in another thread) its about where it is. For me, its gotta be on the dashboard, not in the back seat.

---
Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom