Wrist vs Console

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

limeyx:
I don't get it. How do you know where you are going or how deep you are?
Seems like having that info right in front of you so you can always see it is better than having it off behind you somewhere.
*sigh*

Oh c'mon... are you serious??

Assuming you are... there's more than one one to do it. (Imagine that!
03.gif
)

When I'm swimming, I usually have my hands at my waist, right hand grasping the left wrist (for some reason). And I've got the console hose tucked in the crook of my left arm, clipped off too of course. So the console is always right there, about even with my wrists. When I check it (which is very regularly, believe it or not), I just shift my hand, grab the console, and look. Computer and SPG are on the same side, so it just takes a glance.

Compass is, yes, in the console too; on the other side. So when I need to navigate, I do have to flip the console over.

Look, I'm not saying you're flat wrong. (
11.gif
You're not saying that to me, are you?) With the compass, if I were doing search and recovery, or needed to follow a bearing at night or in very limited vis, I'd certainly want it on my wrist. And I certainly see the advantage to having the computer on the right wrist. In fact, I'm going to play around with that when I get the chance. But like I said, I don't like all that stuff strapped to my wrists.

Makes me think of a stolen-watch salesman.
04.gif
Sorry. That's no worse than "brick-on-a-rope."

And, Mo2vation... I think your generalization -- that people don't look at their gauges -- is, um, first, way too general. Second, if someone isn't going to look at their gauges, they're not going to look at their gauges... no matter where they are.

--Marek

Right wrist, no AI, mini con. as back up on left D ring. For me just easier to bring up the wrist for a look and im pretty comfy with my SAC so Im not grabbing at my con.all the time. Im kinda surprised though, at the small # of responders so far that wrist is on top. Seems like I see more In console. Im gonna enjoy this post!

Stirling:
The only problem now is that, with what my eyes are doing to me recently, I'm going to need longer arms, or a console on a 7' hose (and a stick to hold it out there) so I can read the gauges properly. Either my near-vision correction is going to have to be adjusted, or I'm going to drop my left eye contact entirely so I can read things right in front of me. This is messed up.

This may have been answered (I don't want to go through the whole thread), but Dive-Optyx makes a thin plastic stick-on lens you can put in the corner of your mask and use to read your gauges/computer.

Terry

Marek K:
And, Mo2vation... I think your generalization -- that people don't look at their gauges -- is, um, first, way too general. Second, if someone isn't going to look at their gauges, they're not going to look at their gauges... no matter where they are.

--Marek

is that they're generally true. As a reformed Brickie, I can tell you that with the gauges in my gace, I give them the once over much more often that I did when they were tucked away.

Looks like you and me are the general exceptions.

Generally speaking, of course....

---
Ken

I just completed 3 Days of 2 Tank Dive Boat Trips with my Atmos AI Elite. After the first day to get used to it on my wrist I came to the conclusion its the best thing I have ever used (Personal Opinon) and can't imagine using anything else nor want to for that matter.

Up to six pages on my very first posting on this board! I dont think I EVER got this many responses on the Miata Forum...

Thanks again to all who have responded, and I am impressed with the general civility here. :thumbs-up

Cheers!!

Robert :monkeydan

One of my DB's uses a console and it looks like a dash board. It is a Oceanic and has to be at least 10 inches long. All the gauges are side by side.

I have to agree with Orlando Ranger, since I just made the move myself. Best thing I have done since spring straps.

Marek K:
*sigh*

Oh c'mon... are you serious??

Assuming you are... there's more than one one to do it. (Imagine that!
03.gif
)

When I'm swimming, I usually have my hands at my waist, right hand grasping the left wrist (for some reason). And I've got the console hose tucked in the crook of my left arm, clipped off too of course. So the console is always right there, about even with my wrists. When I check it (which is very regularly, believe it or not), I just shift my hand, grab the console, and look. Computer and SPG are on the same side, so it just takes a glance.

Compass is, yes, in the console too; on the other side. So when I need to navigate, I do have to flip the console over.

Look, I'm not saying you're flat wrong. (
11.gif
You're not saying that to me, are you?) With the compass, if I were doing search and recovery, or needed to follow a bearing at night or in very limited vis, I'd certainly want it on my wrist. And I certainly see the advantage to having the computer on the right wrist. In fact, I'm going to play around with that when I get the chance. But like I said, I don't like all that stuff strapped to my wrists.

--Marek

Hmmm, maybe it's my fault for looking at my guages too often then. I just can't imagine not being able to glance over at one wrist and check depth and time, and the other to see generally where we are going.

But then the only dive I ever did with a console was an Intro to SCUBA in Hawaii where they never told us the hand signal to end a dive and were terrified we'd try to touch the BC inflate/deflate button and harpoon out onto the boat :)

I barely notice them on my wrist during dives, except the bungeed compass does sometimes leave red marks on the wrist/lower arm.

Mo2vation:
I use AI for my dives, with an SPG back up.

Ken

Cheeter!

orangelion03:
Up to six pages on my very first posting on this board! I dont think I EVER got this many responses on the Miata Forum...

Thanks again to all who have responded, and I am impressed with the general civility here. :thumbs-up

Cheers!!

Robert :monkeydan

And Cabriolets.

And Rav 4's.

Gender specific autos - man. That's a whole thread unto itself... :11ztongue

---
Ken

PS: Yeah Cali - whatever. :wink: Beats clipping and unclipping the thing over and over again!!! If I ever get into penetration diving (not likely... but IF) I'll lose the barnicle and go to non-AI. With my Atomic its facing due North and is an accident waiting to happen.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom