Wrist vs Console

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So much for the civility... :wink:

After many years driving a Miata, I'm used to the ribbing. :cwmddd:

Most folks that cant see beyond the cute exterior have no idea how much fun these things are to drive. Hell, even most people that drive them everyday have no idea! I autocrossed and time-trialed mine, and also drove Miata race cars in SCCA events, and you cant beat them for the money. They're not too good at hauling diving equipment though: a gear bag and a tank is about it. though in my case, I have a small trailer that I used for hauling track tires, tools, camping gear to events, and it will easily carry two diver's full kit.

orangelion03:
After many years driving a Miata, I'm used to the ribbing. :cwmddd:

All in fun.

Good thing you're not trying to jam a couple of doubled up 130's in the poor thing...

---
Ken

Mo2vation:
All in fun.
---
Ken

Always Ken! :icon82:

BTW, I liked your pictures in the gallery. "Be The School" is now the wallpaper on my work comp. Thanks!

Where in So Cal are you? I'm up Castaic way.

dbg40:
I never dove a Miata, is it a new type of BC??

SSHHHH, don't tell everyone then all the DIR guys will want one. :D

orangelion03:
Always Ken! :icon82:

BTW, I liked your pictures in the gallery. "Be The School" is now the wallpaper on my work comp. Thanks!

Where in So Cal are you? I'm up Castaic way.

Castaic. Man. I've caught many, many bass, zillions of trout and even a few Stripers and big cats out of that cement lake (and the afterbay - where the real fishing is...)

I'm in MDR adjacent (Westchester) near Loyloa.

LAX meets Westchester Golf Course... sort of around there.

---
Ken

I thought I already posted this but...Wrist vs Console. If you have a wrist computer most people still need to check gauges for tank preasure. Why not have it all in one place? I haven't dove with a wrist but I would rather have it all on my wrist($$$) or console. Just a thought!

Chad_Ordelheide:
I thought I already posted this but...Wrist vs Console. If you have a wrist computer most people still need to check gauges for tank preasure. Why not have it all in one place? I haven't dove with a wrist but I would rather have it all on my wrist($$$) or console. Just a thought!
Chad--

I was thinking the same thing, just didn't want to kick the horse again.

I think the answer would be (and I've seen it said here quite often), that once you're had a great deal of experience, you should know what your gas consumption is well enough that you don't have to check your SPG that often.

Well, I'm certainly not there yet. And I'm not sure I buy that argument in any case... whether or not I know what my consumption is -- or think I do -- I'd still be checking that SPG on the hose. Because I don't think anyone would be able to talk me into an AI computer.

Again, I don't think there's any one "correct" solution, or one that doesn't have any drawbacks. Kind of like life. It's what works best for you, in your particular situation.

--Marek

I started out with a console mounted computer, but now I have changed to an AI-integrated wrist computer with backup SPG. For me, the wrist mount computer i much more convenient.

Marek K:
Chad--

I was thinking the same thing, just didn't want to kick the horse again.

I think the answer would be (and I've seen it said here quite often), that once you're had a great deal of experience, you should know what your gas consumption is well enough that you don't have to check your SPG that often.

Well, I'm certainly not there yet. And I'm not sure I buy that argument in any case... whether or not I know what my consumption is -- or think I do -- I'd still be checking that SPG on the hose. Because I don't think anyone would be able to talk me into an AI computer.

Again, I don't think there's any one "correct" solution, or one that doesn't have any drawbacks. Kind of like life. It's what works best for you, in your particular situation.

--Marek

I don't have that many dives, and I find that I need to check my SPG way less often than depth/direction.

I always check SPG on initial descent (just to make sure it doesn't suddenly have a crazy reading for some reason) and then usually every 5 mins or so after that, depending on depth. Unclipping an SPG every 5 mins to look at it seems reasonable.

depth, bottom time, direction I check much more frequently and so I'd rather they were right in front of me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom