Your images, where?

Please read the first post in the thread.....it's a long question.

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tridacna, Andy M and now Banon and others all have great points.......

The readers are likey to be able to decide for themselves what is good advice and what is you-know-what :)

So I'm joining Andy in just trying to have fun, and AU Tiger in not taking it Sooooo seriously as if I'm curing cancer.....(Although images that influence people CAN jumpstart significant change for the better in our undersea world!

See you all below.......Blub, blub :)

Dave

Actually it is. If someone is posting nonsense. there are many people here that will jump all over them. Of that, there is no doubt whatsoever. See what happened to F3 previously.
Oh I have, and I've seen many threads derailed by people where a great thread has been completely destroyed by the noise. As I type this the original thread that started it all is being split and moderated. So it's taking up Mod time too now. I just don't get why it's OK for some people to continually wreck threads in such a way. It's really unhelpful, probably often off-putting to many, and weakens the value of the photography forum on SB. I have no problem with someone putting up their point of view - but then at least stay on topic when others find flaws in it, and either answer the questions/criticisms - or just admit you might not be the only one with a clue and put the keyboard down.
I believe that trolls need to be at least kept under control enough that they don't poop all over the garden.

I was curious how many people agreed with me and would like to see something done about it. Maybe someone has another idea but believe me.....just hoping that the same few people are going to keep paying attention and refuting the silliest of ideas that gets spouted is ridiculous. Why should they invest so much time cleaning up the place - especially when it's very often the same person causing the trouble? These are actually VERY similar arguments that won the DIR group their new, super-protected, forum. I haven't suggested anything like that at all as an answer. Simply that people "put up or shut up" when asked to.

So far it seems that the majority agree with me too. :wink:

I know EXACTLY where this is coming from, and honestly from that standpoint, I don't disagree.

But who decides whom is worthy of posting information? Further, SB, and other forums are about the free flow of information. That can be good, bad, or ugly.

Fortunately most of us have a BS meter that works. For those that are not experienced enough to have obtained a BS meter, others will hit the switch.

My suggestion is to take what you read anywhere on the internet with a grain of salt. If the poster is reputable, and known then most likely what they recommend is at the very least not a bad idea, and maybe a great suggestion. Keep in mind that we all don't shoot the same equipment in similar conditions, so sometimes there is not a RIGHT answer.

If a poster can't put up an image in this digital world to save his rep, well that's a signal that something is amiss. However we would never want a policy where a member is forced to put up before joining, or at least not in a general forum like this.

We have a great group of photographers on this forum. I personally am impressed, and I'm not just kissing bean bags here. Obviously folks like Mike V stand out, but I am humbled by the work of so many that contribute. I think we all can identify posers from shooters, and I also respect ANYONE who is here to learn regardless of their equipment portfolio, or experience.

My suggestion is to ignore those that can not put up or shut up. Feeding Trolls is never a good idea, and the same holds true for members that post junk that makes no sense.

However we would never want a policy where a member is forced to put up before joining, or at least not in a general forum like this.
That was never the suggestion Ron. I thought I'd made that very clear. I would never support, or ask for that either.

That was never the suggestion Ron. I thought I'd made that very clear. I would never support, or ask for that either.

Kim, as the OP I can see how you may feel this was directed toward you. It was not, and I am not suggesting you would ever subscribe to such a policy. However post #1 is not clear as to how the board handles those that provide advice without credentials.

My response addresses that issue by making it clear that we don't want to become a place where if we all don't agree, that the majority than attacks and shuts down the opposing view. OTOH, posting mis-information is a problem, and that is what I am sure you are addressing.

OTOH, posting mis-information is a problem, and that is what I am sure you are addressing.
Yup...... but it actually goes further. If someone posts something dumb and mis-informative, and it's immediately corrected/contradicted by several people with solid knowledge and experience as to what they are talking about, and it ends right there, no problem. The problem comes when someone refuses to accept it and move on and just hammers away with whatever it was until the thread is rendered worthless....unless someone like your good self takes the time to sort it all out and clean up the mess.
Personally I think that in that situation what is needed is to reveal whether we're talking about a genuinely held POV, or a troll. If someone refuses to back up their POV when asked to do so, and simply ignores requests to justify their comments in some way, then it should be seen as a troll......and stopped. Intential trolling is, after all, against the TOS, and I don't really see why people should have to put up with it anywhere......be it in the DIR forums, Solo divers, General Scuba......and yes.....the Photography area. :wink:

speaking for the folks here who are fairly inexperienced but desperatly wnat to get better it really does not take long to separate the wannabe form the actually talented photographers on this board. there are several of you who really know what you are doing and and are kind enough to share your knowledge with us who don't yet. i am not the smartest guy around but i figured out who to listen to pretty quick. unfortunately, because of a few of you, i am now addicted to the photog aspect of this sport. thanks to all who help and please keep it coming. phan

speaking for the folks here who are fairly inexperienced but desperatly wnat to get better it really does not take long to separate the wannabe form the actually talented photographers on this board. there are several of you who really know what you are doing and and are kind enough to share your knowledge with us who don't yet. i am not the smartest guy around but i figured out who to listen to pretty quick. unfortunately, because of a few of you, i am now addicted to the photog aspect of this sport. thanks to all who help and please keep it coming. phan

Exactly.

I agree...
K

I just don't get why it's OK for some people to continually wreck threads in such a way. It's really unhelpful, probably often off-putting to many, and weakens the value of the photography forum on SB.

What are you suggesting? That SB polices the boards and expels those who derail threads? Or in your opinion don't know what they are talking about? Or are just pissing you off?

C'mon, this is a medium for free exchange of ideas. Just ignore the noise and enjoy the ride. So what if someone hijacks a thread? It happens more often than not. It's never going to change. That's how people do things. Not every post is a gem. You just have to sift out the garbage and take what you want. And BTW, 36 votes is not evidence of anything meaningful!

I think that we should have to do a credentials check of anyone who wants to vote in this poll. Females only. Please send digital pictures in a very tight wetsuit to Kim. He can be the judge of potential voters or contributors to this thread! Make sure that the composition of each shot is suitable and lighting conditions perfect. DSLRs only.

Back
Top Bottom