your observations on gratuity please?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bluenose

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
some people think tipping is a place in China. Or what's the difference between a NELD and a canoe? A canoe tips more often.
Do you tip boat crew when you dive, if so how much? my local shop insists its divers have 20 percent cash tip before leaving for the boat. I was suprised to hear some friends say they don't tip. why not is my question?

Yes I tip, but I think a tip should reflect how happy you are with a service so a business requiring a 20% tip goes against what tipping is supposed to be. If they do a crappy job, there is no reason they should expect me to fork over a 20% gratuity. The most they should say is "tips are appreciated" or something along those lines.

Of course, I always wonder when I give a tip to the captain or divemaster if any of the rest of the crew ever sees a cent? :D

Tip
Tip
TIP!

why wouldnt you? I mean if the service is bad, sure, then dont tip, but other than that....
I always tip for service when I get good service, or if I EXPECT good service. I went on vacation for a week, figured it was a good time to have tweeter install a new car audio system. They said it would take 1-2 days to install. I asked if they would keep the truck for the whole week, but please lock her up at night in the bay. I tipped the install kid $100 when I dropped off the truck, BEFORE the install, and told him to take care of my truck. He did. Now when ever I got to tweeter they are SUPER nice to me.

nothing wrong with that.

I throw the DMs an Andrew Jackson after a day of diving, and they seem to be pretty happy. It's the least I can do...I mean, they are dong this cuz they love it (translation: they don't make jack squat).

*If* there is a crew member on board that is helping and helps me, I'll tip them $5-10. I don't tip the captain if there is no crew, as it's either their boat or they are getting paid to run the boat. Crew usually doesn't get paid.

For example, if I go out on CAD boat, on the small boat where there is usually just Capt. Dave, I wouldn't tip. If I went out on CAD II (the big boat), where Tuck(?) is usually helping Capt Steve out, he'll get a few bucks.

As for a dive shop insisting that you have a tip before you get on board...don't book with a dive shop. It's none of their business. Book your own charters.

I crew on a dive boat ocasionally, (for free) and have never seen a tip. I do however get to dive for free.

I always tip on charters, everywhere i go, this people is providing a service and i think is just the right think to do to, tip the crew, i have to agree in the part that all depends of the quality of service, i tip about $20.00 per trip, but again the quality of service i get is great, the boat is specially design for diving, The captains knowledge of the area is great, full bathroom with shower (hot water), head, sink..., coolers full with ice, bottles of water and even beers to cool off during the ride back to the dock, coffee maker, microwave oven, live well for lobster and rubber bands for the bugs, your rentals are bring to you to the boat, helpful crew, always there to help you out to get in and out of the water checking your gear, taking the fins out for you, and a very important thing FRIENDLY, i even got invited a couple times in free trips, just to dive with them, i can go on and on why i think the tips are very well deserved, and a good way to say you did a great job is giving something extra to those who did something extra for you too.

Just my psi

I have to agree. when you go to dinner you pay a tip for someone to get food for from maybe sixty feet away. or better still, a bar tender to move up to 12 ft.
The crew take you out and watch over your safety. I get bent I don't want a waiter looking after me.
If they suck then do not pay one.
DM's are not in it for pay. let's face it it takes brains to be one.
I know all people don't tip and I want to know why? Don't be shy please tell me the logic behind it.

Soggy:
*If* there is a crew member on board that is helping and helps me, I'll tip them $5-10. I don't tip the captain if there is no crew, as it's either their boat or they are getting paid to run the boat. Crew usually doesn't get paid.

Ditto.

bluenose:
I know all people don't tip and I want to know why? Don't be shy please tell me the logic behind it.

Actually, in my experience while crewing in the northeast U.S., MOST people don't tip. And yes, I lugged gear, helped don and doff their kit, and in general tried to make it a fun experience. I did not get paid, but that was understood and it was my choice to be there. I AM NOT COMPLAINING HERE. I thoroughly enjoyed being out there, I learned alot, and I got to dive for free! IMO, I think most people simply feel that they are paying good money to be taken out "for a boat ride" and assume that crews are part of the service. Not making a judgement . . . just an observation.

Be safe and have fun,
Capt. Dennis St Germain

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom