Zeagle Express Tech vs Zeagle Wicked Lite for first travel BC (first BC ever actually

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Please read the OP's post. BP/W was one of his choices.

What did you expect would happen?
------------------------------------------

When a diveshop owner gets a newly certified diver. They are in luck. Because they can usually sell them anything with 2 key concepts.
1) Scuba is a life threatening sport, don't gamble with your life.
2) You MIGHT need it later on, I'd take it just in case.

Too many features on BCDs:
1) Pockets upon pockets. I've found them to bee such a pain underwater that I've never used them. I prefer shorts with pockets in them. Highland Neoprene Pocket Shorts - Dive Gear Express
2) Lift. BCD usually have too much lift. Too much lift can be harder with newer divers that have a hard time with buoyancy. Some standard BCDs come with 47# for a single tank...danger much?
My single tank wing is 27# and my doubles 80s is 40# , it can still lift me at the surface.
3) Octo Pockets.... use an snorkel holder @ 2$.
4) Knife Sheats....no comment
5) Sternum straps, personally I never liked them. They are also in the way of Drysuit inflator, I dive cold water.
6) Weight integration. I don't like it. But TRY BEFORE YOU BUY.
7) D-Rings, sometimes there can be too many D-rings.

All these fall into the YOU MIGHT NEED IT SOMEDAY category, all these feature might not be what you NEED or WANT, but people selling these usually steer you towards the most expensive/ more features.
A) It's a safe bet. People who don't know what they want might feel more comfortable knowing they have EVERYTHING.
B) Profit margin is better.

PRICE:
When dive shop sell BCD's at 25-30% under the MSRP and sell them in the dozens... it means the MSRP is high. In the scuba industry a lot of things are over-priced and I mainly point out things that I've seen.

Manufacturing cost of the BP in SS316 Marine grade. Costs around 10$/pound in material only. So Material + Handling of the BP only is 75$-100$
On the other hand, How much do you think it costs to manufacture these BCDs in China? 100$?

Comparison: A 1st&2nd stage combo VS a BCD, both cost around the same 500-600$ range but the BCD doesn't have the same ammount put into: Manufacturing, R&D, Material, etc.
Why does it cost so much then?

After all these facts, can you really think that a BCD is not overpriced? (yes some BP/W are included in this OVERPRICED)

Long Term Cost:
Systems that use a wing are usually MODULAR. So if you try integrated weights and don't like it. You just remove & resell them. In a conventional BCD, you don't like it...well... you need a whole new BCD.
It might not be cheaper upfront, but in the long run, it is.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What I usually tell new Divers is not "GO BP/W".
I tell them to TRY BEFORE THEY BUY.
If they can't, because not everyone has the ability to, I tell them BUY USED. You can resell it at almost at the same price if you don't like it.
I bought a used Oceanic Excursion BCD after my 5th dive at 200$ here on SB. It still smelled like new used it for my 15 first dives, change for a transpac, sold it back at 160$.
Why spend over 600$ on something you MIGHT not like & that you MIGHT change along the way.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did I ever say in this and my other post how good the BP/W was. I pointed out WHY I DID NOT LIKE MOST TRADITIONAL BCDs.
I've never said that BP/W was the ONLY way to go or encouraged the OP to go that route.
I stipulated, why I like one of his two choices.

Thank you

I like his sharpness

I like his sharpness

I would go with the Wicked Lite, due to the fact that it is made in the USA and if you look at other forums you will find out that some Zeagle things like the Zena have been made in China for a few years now.

I would go with the ET hands down. Modularity wins every time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom