Zeagle Vs. Halcyon Evolve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

abitton:
Just so you know:

In discussions with the owner of my LDS about BP/W, he mentioned that if it weren't for cost issues (initial purchase costs of BP/Ws tend to be more expensive than for low end jacket-style BCs), he would have all his instructors teach all classes with this setup...

YMMV...

Alex

EDIT: OK, so "tend" may be an understatement.

Yeah? And what would be the bottom line after he sells out the low end BCs after a year, completely worn out, as compared to the second hand value of SS BPs and single tank vings? Oh, I forgot! There's no reason to sell them, since they're as good as new after a year of heavy usage :D

-We're starting up OW-classes at our shop in April 2006. I will consider using SS BP/harness and single tank wings of..... economic reasons :14:

Since PADI demands the use of the drysuit as main bouyancy control device, if worn, we also consider using semi-dry's. -Only to get around this PADI "rule". We of course belive the wing is the better choice for controlling bouyancy.

I've had a ranger for 3 years now and still really like it. The only down fall is it is a little bulky. But zeagle does make a backplate now so you could always upgrade when the time is right for you. Also with the ranger you can use doubles I believe.

NAVMED82:
Ok, I'm a new diver contemplating all the money I'm getting ready to spend. I'm first thinking about what BC I want. Right now I'm torn between two. One is either a Zeagle Ranger or Brigade. The other one is the Halcyon Evolve BP/W. Any recomendations? As far as the type of diving, rec right now , but I'm probably going to move on to tech diving sometime.

Thanks,
Since you stated tech diving is in your future, save yourself some money and get a backplace, harness, and single tank wing now. I have a Dive Rite Venture wing that is a great little single tank wing. Then, when your ready for doubles all you will need will be a doubles' wing. If you get lucky, you can find one on e-bay for $100-$150.

Where abouts' you at in Tenn????

I used a jacket style for a long time with little to no problems...I then used a back inflation jacket style it was better and I now own a Pioneer 27 s/s system. I love the new backplate and wing and would never go back. As a Dive Shop Manager this is the way I would recommend you to go.
As for Zeagle, I repair more failures for Zeagle equipment than any other Manufacturer. The users of their equipment love it, but facts-is-facts. GO MODGULAR!
Dive Rite also makes wonderful systems including a Wreck Wing that can handle singles and Doubles... Check it out.

I would recommend the Halcyon Eclipse, use it now to get used to it with singles. Then if the time comes, you can just add on the Evolve for doubles and keep the rest of your harness the same. I do like the Zeagles, and own one, but if you think you will go tech you might as well start with a rig that will carry you through everything.

Ok, I think I have decided on the BP/W. Is there any diffrence where I get the plate and harness? Any brands better than others? I'm going to check with my LDS to see what they can do. As far as wings go, I'm either going to go with the Oxycheq Signature 30# or the Halcyon Eclipse 30#. Any comments?
what do you think about an Agir wing?

Thanks

NAVMED82:
Ok, I think I have decided on the BP/W. Is there any diffrence where I get the plate and harness? Any brands better than others? I'm going to check with my LDS to see what they can do. As far as wings go, I'm either going to go with the Oxycheq Signature 30# or the Halcyon Eclipse 30#. Any comments?

Thanks

I'd say these two are equal, and both VERY good single wings! If you're up to buy a complete rig, the Eclipse comes with a metal single tank adapter. I don't know if Oxycheq comes with one. The Agir is as good as any of these. Perhaps even better, but then, price... Compare the deals you get. Any of these three will make you happy as a fiddle under water :07:

NAVMED82:
Plate and harness ... for singles I prefer the Deep Sea Supply plate. It's very flat and holds a single tank in very close ... making it feel like a natural extension of your body. The rubber inserts on the tank slots mean that your harness won't wear out as quickly ... a consideration if you're using one of the multi-piece harnesses like a ProFit or TransPlate, that can run more than $100 just for the harness. I also like the plate weight system he's designed to add weights to the backplate. Very sleek and out of the way.

For doubles I prefer a FredT plate. It has a more pronounced angle to the plate, with a deeper channel ... so the plate accommodates dual-tanks and bands very nicely, allowing them to fit in very close to your body.

I own both the Eclipse and the Oxycheq singles wings, and they are both excellent wings. In fact, I cannot tell any performance difference between the two ... and I dive them both fairly often. I've not had any experience with Agir, but I do know people who own them and are very happy with them. They look like very rugged wings.

I would also recommend the Deep Sea Supply singles wing ... which I also own. Unlike the others, it is not a donut-shaped wing. However, the shape of the wing and placement of the inflator hose make it easy to trim and to dump on the ascent. I was skeptical when I first tried it, but after diving it decided that this was a well-designed product.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom