I survived yet another dive without a dive computer...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle Pug

Swims with Orca
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Max depth: 110' ~ total time: 70 minutes ~ gas used: 100cf of 30/30

Actually, I only looked at the bottom timer/depth gauge a few times during the dive. Mostly paid attention to where I was (know the dive site fairly well) and how much gas was remaining. Gas is always the big deal to me. I kind of have it figured where I want to be in the dive at different SPG readings... and having half of my gas left at 60' is right where I like it for this site. Since I wasn't carrying my Stinger I don't have a graph to download but I know just what it would look like because that is the way I like to shape the dive.

About gas... I like to have enough at whatever point in the slope (depth/time) that I would not only be able to airshare and make a proper ascent but that I would have enough to make a proper ascent even if I had to bail myself out in a worse case scenario.

(BTW Bob... that is why I wanted to expedite the leg to depth... I like to have max gas at max depth. :D)

When you dive like that without the aide of a computer, what is your dive plan in terms of depth and times, and how much flexibility do you have with that plan?

Well, I had my trusty computer in gauge mode too ... but with 160 cubic feet of 30/30 in my tanks, I bloody well expected to survive ... :D

Expediting's good ... just remember you got an old fat dude trying to keep up with ya ... what I was most concerned about surviving was exertion ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I'm not so much concerned with depth and times as I am with gas and depth/time.

Sheesh... this thread didn't take you long to find Bob. :D You're speedier than you think.

Uncle Pug:
I'm not so much concerned with depth and times as I am with gas and depth/time.

Sheesh... this thread didn't take you long to find Bob. :D You're speedier than you think.
LOL - on the Internet, it's easy to be a sprinter ... :eyebrow:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

i know i checked the dive time when we were leaving the I-beams and I remember verifying that we hadn't pushed the dive time. I want to say 25 mins? i should really have memorized that time, but i can't recall it now. but we did spend that time reasonably deep compared to the usual deep part of the alki tour.

i did cheat and had the bend-o-matic in computer mode...

Uncle Pug:
Gas is always the big deal to me. I kind of have it figured where I want to be in the dive at different SPG readings... and having half of my gas left at 60' is right where I like it for this site.

Are you saying you know your air consumption at specific depths well enough that you can pretty much tell your dive time based on how much air you have left?

Uncle Pug:
Max depth: 110' ~ total time: 70 minutes ~ gas used: 100cf of 30/30

Actually, I only looked at the bottom timer/depth gauge a few times during the dive. Mostly paid attention to where I was (know the dive site fairly well) and how much gas was remaining. Gas is always the big deal to me. I kind of have it figured where I want to be in the dive at different SPG readings... and having half of my gas left at 60' is right where I like it for this site. Since I wasn't carrying my Stinger I don't have a graph to download but I know just what it would look like because that is the way I like to shape the dive.

About gas... I like to have enough at whatever point in the slope (depth/time) that I would not only be able to airshare and make a proper ascent but that I would have enough to make a proper ascent even if I had to bail myself out in a worse case scenario.

(BTW Bob... that is why I wanted to expedite the leg to depth... I like to have max gas at max depth. :D)

Is this a troll, a dive log, or an answer to a question that no one asked?

I assume you were using your depth averaging technique? What would you guess was your average depth overall? About 50ft?

jiveturkey:
Are you saying you know your air consumption at specific depths well enough that you can pretty much tell your dive time based on how much air you have left?
Well yes and no. What I'm saying is that I know where I want to be in the dive when the remaining gas is such and such. If I happen to be using more gas than normal (for some reason I seem to use more with 30/30 than nitrox) then I will move up sooner.

Gas is the principle thing, IMO.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom