Dive computer question..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefseal

Contributor
Reaction score
1 more week to Bonaire w/ John Chaplain!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait. :D I'm bringing my spare computer (air only) as backup. Question.. I'll be using my primary computer on nitrox setting when diving nitrox. Should I have my spare computer which is not nitrox programmable in my BC with me on all dives? Should something happen to my primary computer (e.g. Battery failure), I will have profiles of dives made on my 2ndary computer? I realize because diving nitrox, my air computer could get get lock out (I proved on Cayman Agressor dive trip) When unlocks, I can start diving with spare computer and will have previous profile history.

Or should just have spare computer out of water and only use if needed (but won't have previous history) :06:

You may get better visibility and more answers in the basic or computer forums.

If your primary computer craps out then you could revert to what is allowable on the air only unit since it will be more conservative. Depending on your intensity the back-up may need to see a pause in diving to accumualte worthwhile NDL. As you say it may be. Does it have a dive planner mode?

If the spare computer is not on all of your dives then you are locked out for 24 hours by default so your body can reset to match the dry computer.

If failure is a major concern a rental nitrox computer in your pocket may be cheap insurance. If you travel a lot buying one may be cheaper insurance in the long run.

Pete

Just gave me another thought.. Dive with primary Computer set for diving Air though diving on Nitrox.. Be extra conservative. Keep spare 'puter in BC with me me. Should Primary 'puter crap out for what ever reason, backup spare computer is on same profile. Ces't logique?

That would keep you fro over running the back-up. Even if you push the air NDL to the limit you will still have a nice margin.

HOWEVER... You will need to use the computer between your ears to manage PO2. If an operator gets wise to you it could be trouble.

"Just gave me another thought.. Dive with primary Computer set for diving Air though diving on Nitrox.. Be extra conservative. Keep spare 'puter in BC with me me. Should Primary 'puter crap out for what ever reason, backup spare computer is on same profile. Ces't logique?"

I do this on a lot of multi day, multi dive trips. I think its a great way to make things more conservative. As previously mentioned, you just need to keep track of the 02 limits I will never go anywhere with out two computers, usually one in a console and somthing wrist mounted. I can't see why a dive operator anywhere would have a problem with it, especiallly in Boanire home of "the complete diver freedom"

Paul

Remember, air is actually 21% Nitrox. In other words you can use the Nitrox computer when diving air, just change the O2 percentage. Personally, I'm not that good at memorizing things, so I don't try to calculate much in my head. I use my tables and my computer.

Setting your computer to 21% will provide you with a much better safety margin, but in Bonaire, I am sure you will find it the limiting portion of your diving. Also, you need to be more aware not to exceed your MOD since your computer won't be monitoring it for you.

When last in Bonaire, I kept my spare computer IN my hotel room. If my primary Dive computer crapped out (which my Cobra has NEVER done), I would only miss a day of diving. If I knew my profiles, I might not even miss a day!

I don't expect crap out. Only times I have encountered were for stupid reasons. (forgetting to change battery before trip and forgetting spare!) Never made that mistake again. 2nd time was last live aboard. I left the computer with tank and during one of the surface intervals when boat relocating, gauge was facing direction of sun and the sun/heat must have affected the display. VEO folks replaced when got home but still, shouldn't have left in sun like that. The live aboards, you leave your BC on talk all time and they fill tanks with gear on so didn't think about position of Gauge.

You know... a simple sock over the console will protect ALL of it from sun and abrasion. When it gets gross, just toss the sock! Nylon seems to hold up the best.

PS, the thread was moved per our PM exchange.

NetDoc:
When last in Bonaire, I kept my spare computer IN my hotel room. If my primary Dive computer crapped out (which my Cobra has NEVER done), I would only miss a day of diving. If I knew my profiles, I might not even miss a day!
My computer failure plan is similar to yours, except that I will go ahead and keep on diving, using the tables, assuming I'm starting off in pressure group Z of the PADI table. This will shorten the remaining dives on the first day, but would let me keep diving.

So far I've never had to use my backup computer for me, but have loaned it out many times to either divers whose computer failed, or to an insta-buddy without a computer.

Reefseal, if you do take the air computer with you, you should look at it near the end of the dive and do the hang time it calls for. Otherwise you'll lock it out and in that case you would be better off leaving it on the boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom