Oceanic Versa Pro, any reason not to buy this computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Codyjp

Contributor
Reaction score
ok, so my eyes are blurred and my brain is confused trying to make my first computer purchase. I am a new diver looking to get my first setup. I think i will get Nitrox trained in the future but other than that just planning on normal, SoCal type diving. Are there any reason why this is a really bad computer? (ie, it catches on fire and my hand gets burned off etc) There are just so many out there it is hard to chose. ok, any help would be great.

i found it for $319 with the software.

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=VersaProWrist

Thanks!

I have it. Works well. I thought depth gauge was off by a lot but only off by 1 foot.

Only reason I wouldn't buy it is if I was super rich and could get one of them fandangled wireless ones.

Codyjp:
ok, so my eyes are blurred and my brain is confused trying to make my first computer purchase. I am a new diver looking to get my first setup. I think i will get Nitrox trained in the future but other than that just planning on normal, SoCal type diving. Are there any reason why this is a really bad computer? (ie, it catches on fire and my hand gets burned off etc) There are just so many out there it is hard to chose. ok, any help would be great.

i found it for $319 with the software.

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=VersaProWrist

Thanks!

I agree with Dueces. Got one for the wife and its a good unit. No problems thus far and its pretty intuitive. Oceanic has an upgraded software program I highly recommend downloading from their website. Make a load of difference from the original version...$319 sound like a good price too. Larry's is da man..customer service is unbeatable.

I have about a year on mine w/ no major issues. The computer itself has been great, very user friendly, durable and accurate w/ the exception the temperature gauge on mine is consistently about two degrees above the actual water temperature(no biggy but worth noting). The computer is a discontinued model for what it's worth, may make the price a bit more negotiable. The only downside is the software. I download from my Versa Pro to make a printable logbook (the only reason I purchased the download cable and software) and the program is not very good. Everything from printable lines not lining up, input data overwriting previous sentences to misspelled words. Oceanic keeps adding updated downloads to their site but they never seem to repair some very simple issues.

Bottom line, the computer is very user friendly, the software is not.

I like mine a lot. The only suggestion I would offer is to look at the VEO 180 or 250 that are replacing the Versa Pro. See them here

I see SToys has the Veo 180 for $296 + wrist boot $15 + dowloader cable $50 if you buy your computer from them = $361 - but I don't know that you gain any features or anything. Save $42 with the Versa Pro, I suppose.

DandyDon:
I like mine a lot. The only suggestion I would offer is to look at the VEO 180 or 250 that are replacing the Versa Pro. See them here
The Pro does have a bigger display than the Veo's. Some divers do like that part.

JeffG:
The Pro does have a bigger display than the Veo's. Some divers do like that part.
Yeah, that's true.

I was editing as Jeff was posting. See $42 savings in my previous post.

JeffG:

Yes, that's right. That was one of the reasons I got mine. HUUUUGE #s. So easy to read. And ya, got mine from Larry too. Can't beat Scubatoys!

BrianS:
Same Computer at the Atmos 2, and I like my Atmos 2.

yep, me too

basically i'd get whichever is cheaper from Scubatoys.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom