New reg setup with Sherwood?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mikey0929

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello,

I have been watching these boards for a couple of months now and am making my first post. I have recently finished my OW cert and just getting into diving. I have been reading up and talking to instructors/divemasters I know and am looking as to what regs I want to buy. I have been looking at the Sherwood Blizzard and then the Minimus as the octo. I have also been looking at the Sherwood Wisdom dive computer with that setup (I have seen a couple of really good buys with LDS's on the package) I am wondering what peoples thoughts are on these products? My diving will consist a lot of Ontario Great Lakes so I need a coldwater reg from what I am learning. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Mike

I did a lot of research and talking to my LDS too. You'll get a lot of feedback on these boards about the "top o the line" and "high end regs" (Atomic, Apeks, ScubaPro). For me it was simplicity, ease of servicing, reliability instead of the latest feature or technology. Sherwood comes out on top of that list. I went with the Sherwood Maximus becuase of the under the arm hose setup. Without that, I would have gone with the Oasis/Blizzard.

The cold water features (moisture/warmth retention fins) and dry air demand first stage make these great regs for your environment.

I to use a Sherwood Maximus, mostly because of the under arm hose routing, but this can be done with most any reg with the addition of a swivel. Sherwoods are not the most popular with the "Tec diving bunch", but they are good solid preformers at recreational depth. I'm not going to get into a ABC is better than XYZ thing (I'm going to leave that to someone else), except to say that within the 100' recomended recreaional depth range the difference between ABC and XYZ is likely to be small.

I dive with Sherwood Maximus and Oasis as a backup and love them both. I think the blizzard is the oasis with a cold water kit. I've converted both of mine to DIN and have dove them both to 160' with absolutely no problems. Also, the sealed 1st stage prevents any contamination with stuff in the water (ie. salt).

You will love the Blizzard. Plus it's easy to get it serviced. I've been diving one locally here in the Great Lakes/St. Lawrence River for years.

Cheers.

-J.-

Personally I use the maximus, and frankly love it. Its the most comfortable reg I have ever used, and it breaths just fine. The first stages are bullet proof, and with the ease of service there is a lot to recommend for them. Its a very solid good choice, and will give you years of wonderful diving.

only thing i would recommend differently is a sherwood octo rather than a minimus or sko. they seem more resistant to freeflows, and make self-service a breeze.

I have both the Sherwood Maximus and the Sherwood Wisdom dive computer... I have to tell you that I'm a bit of a newbie but both have performed excellently... These were not recommended by my LDS but from a tekky friend who uses nothing but the Maximus for everything... The Wisdom, really great both in the water and out. I have learned alot from the computer interface, you have to get that.

I started out with a Sherwood Blizzard and absolutely hated it! While some claim it breathes like a charm for me it seemed like sucking through a garden hose with a cork in it! :D after 5 dives I ditched it and got better regs that worked for me and breathed the way I liked them

Don't get stuck on the brand the shop sells, or THEIR DM's and instructors recommend (lot of times they have to) but instead see if you can look around and test drive the regulators (in a pool or a local water hole) before you make your final decision.....there are a lot of good/better regs out on the market that might suit you better (not that Sherwood regs are inferior)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom