Choosing a new reg - adjustable vs non-adjustable?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Flot

Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys - here's my story:

Have been diving (50-60 dives?) with an older (5 years?) Aqualung/US Divers setup (Impulse?) that I bought used off a friend. I like it, but figured that I may as well upgrade to something newer. Most of my diving is shallow (under 50 feet) and definitely warm (80 deg). Reg will be due for service sometime soon.

I want to stay under/around $200, and as I approach $200+ would prefer to find something with 2 HP Ports, which puts me a step closer to going with a hoseless computer in the future.

I tried a Oceanic Alpha 8, but did not like the way it breathes. Felt like it was forcing air into my lungs. Don't know if it was just this particular model, or if I am going to be unhappy with any non-adjustable reg after having the adjustable 2nd stage aqualung? Should I just keep borrowing/trying different regs? Or am I really just wasting my time and trying to fix something that ain't broke?

---
Edit: I accidentally said I had an aqualung titan - I actually have an Aqualung IMPULSE... dont' know if that changes anyone's feelings on the matter, I haven't been able to find much out about this reg.

Not sure on the price but I've really enjoyed the Mares Mr12's. They seam to be nice. Although nothing I've used so far has been better than my Scubapro's but they are higher priced. I also bought a Dacor Viper about a month ago and I've been pleased with it too. I'm not sure about the future of Dacor (neither was the shop) and I took a gamble and got the reg for about $150.00. I do know that the 1st stage is a Mares Mr12 and that since the Mr12 is about the longest running 1st out there, parts are always available.

FWIW, I started out with a Scubapro MK2+/R190. Nothing wrong with it for the type of diving that I was doing. For some reason I thought I NEEDED another regulator setup and so the spending of many began. After spending over a thousand dollars on different regulators over the course of the years, I just wish I had stayed with the MK2+/R190, then saved that money and took more classes sooner. Just my 2 cents worth.

Jeremy

For under $200 and warm water, I think MK2+/R190 is tough to be. I think R390 is a little better tho, I could be wrong. I'm sure DA Aquamaster would explain better.

The Mares MR12 Rebel is a good proven regulator for $199. The first stage has been on the market for quite a few years and has proven itself as a dependable workhorse. You can read the details and features here:
http://www.crazyscuba.com/pd_mares_mr12.cfm

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Good Luck!

Britt :fish:
:fish:

With the diving you do the Titan should be fine. I just bought one for my daughter. The Titan is a long time design (Conshelf) but that doesn't make it obsolete, it is an advantage. I can't see how you will get something for less than $200 that would be better. If you want it to breath a bit better buy a Titan LX (balanced) second. This is one really high value combination and always ranks very high in tests.

You don't mention what you dislike about it so maybe you are just fixing some thing that isn't broken.

I don't know anything specific about your reg, except that if it's breathing hard, it needs service.

A new reg will only deflate your wallet, and may not breathe any better than the one you already have. Sometimes the adjustments need a little tweaking.

Terry

Flot:
Hi guys - here's my story:
Have been diving (50-60 dives?) with an older (5 years?) Aqualung/US Divers setup (Titan?) that I bought used off a friend. I like it, but figured that I may as well upgrade to something newer. Most of my diving is shallow (under 50 feet) and definitely warm (80 deg). Reg will be due for service sometime soon.

Sorry guys, let me try again:

I have been using my reg for a couple of years, and it was used before that, so I figured that while I have a couple hundred bucks lying around, it might be a good opportunity to upgrade, rather than spending $30-$50 on getting my old reg serviced I could spend the $150-250 on something new.

Truth is there is nothing I dislike about my current setup, just that it is showing signs of wear and to the best of my knoweldge it was "cheap gear" when my buddy bought it a few years ago.

Next year, I would like to get a hoseless air computer, and I would not mind spending the extra $ now to get a 1st stage that has two HP ports, which I would want so that I could have a redundant manual pressure gauge.

Again, my current setup is fine - the reg I did not like was the Oceanic Alpha 8, which I tried just because it was so damn cheap, but wasn't happy with... I'm really just wondering if that was the oddball, or if non-adjustable regs are something I'd have to get used to after having an adjustable one.

I don't know if the $200.00 range is going to cut it on what you are wanting. Most of the mainstream regs, adjustable or not, with 2 HP ports are usually in the $300-$500 range.

Jeremy

Back
Top Bottom