Which SCUBApro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

King_of_All_Tyrants

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello all-

I've been reading some of the old threads and have been thinking of getting a Scubapro regulator. I've narrowed it down to two choices:

1. MK2Plus/R190
2. MK17/X650

I will basically be using them at rec depths (no more than 130' depth), in just about every dive environment I can get it into. This includes the tropics, but also includes the local quarry (where bottom temperatures can get to the 30s) as well as some East Coast recreational depth wrecks (temperatures again estimated as the 30s). I probably will start using nitrox.

I don't think I'll ever try ice diving; nor do I think I'll ever be doing the highly complex tech-type dives.

Your thoughts as to which one's more suitable for me? Will I notice any difference in the breathability between them (besides the Mk2+/R190 becoming harder to breath with at 500PSI and below)?

Thanks!

It kind of depends how much you want to spend; of course everyone will tell you to get the higher end MK17, which everyone seems to love. You will notice a difference in breathability, but if it were me, I'd go for the G250 2nd stage rather than the X650. I have both a MK2/R190 and a MK15/G250, and there is a difference but I have no complaints whatsoever about diving with my MK2; if it's adjusted right it breathes really well. Both first stages (MK2 and MK17) are known as excellent cold water regs.

You wil notice a higher inhalation effort on the Mk 2 R190, even at full tank pressures as it just does not have the same flow rate, response time or Ip[ stability as the Mk 17X650.

I agree that I would also choose to get the Mk 17 with a G250 second stage. It's a simple matter to have your dealer special order it and you'll get the same excellent performance for less money.

I recommend MK17/S555 is the best choice with reasonable price

I have 3 Mk2 / R190 and an MK20 / G250 and use all of them for diving recreational depths. Honestly I find no real difference with how both breathes on a normal dive. There is some slight variance however when you are in the 50 bar range.

Sometimes just to test the difference between high end regs and low end regs, I let my GF use the MK20 on a dive and switch the MK2 on the next dive, she doesn't notice the difference as well.

no xs 650 ..keep it simple. Reliable. Get any scubapro second stage make the 650 a last resort....if you want reliability
my two cents....mainly just worth a penny

I don't know why everybody is so down on the X650... I love mine!

And to echo DA Aquamaster, the MK17 X650 will breathe markedly better than the MK2 R190.

While the MK2 R190 is a solid reg... it's just not designed to breathe as well as the Mk 17 X650.

The other thing I like about my X650 is that I find them extremely easy to service...

divebud:
I don't know why everybody is so down on the X650... I love mine!

And to echo DA Aquamaster, the MK17 X650 will breathe markedly better than the MK2 R190.

While the MK2 R190 is a solid reg... it's just not designed to breathe as well as the Mk 17 X650.

Same here.

The difference between my MK25 X650 and MK2+ R390 is not so much noticable at depths up to 20 m with a full tank, apart that the X650 delivers air with more natural feel to it. The only thing is, you have to remeber to switch the X650 to predive mode when going 10 m and shallower, as it will freeflow like hell should you drop/take it out of your mouth.

MK2+ on the other hand is doing what it is supposed to do - delivers air. No frills, reliable, and being used as a backup reg on my left post. A bit rough, but does the trick just fine.

I've done a number of dives with both of the reg combinations you are considering. The MK2+/R190 is an incredible value. For many divers it is more than they will ever need.

However, of all the regs I own or have tried, the MK17/X650 combo is my hands down favorite (I also have two Mk25/S600s, an Apeks XTX200, and an OMS Deco reg). The air delivery is amazing no matter what position I'm in. I also agree with divebud, the X650 is very easy to service.

IMHO, the X650 is worth a few extra bucks.

Thanks everyone for the input! A few more Q?'s:

- what's the difference (in terms of what a diver would notice in the water, in the conditions I'll be diving in) between the G250, S555 and X250? Do any of them have reliability problems?

- about how much should I budget for either the Mk2/R190 or the Mk17/X250? I of course see the Leisurepro prices, but I'm not gonna buy from them and I'm sure their price is significantly lower than at the LDS.

Back
Top Bottom