Regulator Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lukas

Reaction score
OK, so I've decided against a FFM. The problem of choosing a regulator still remains. Since many of you guys here are a lot more informed and experienced than I am, I thought I would ask you for help. I am planning on doing a lot of cold water diving, maybe even ice. I don't dive nitrox right now, but it might be an option in the future so that would be a nice but not necessary feature. Depth is not too much of an issue, I'm not an extreme deep diver, but I should be able to breathe effortlessly up to 200ft. I'd been thinking about the poseidon cyklon or jetstream, but as far as I know, those aren't nitrox compatible. If anyone can help me out here, I would very much appreciate it.

I personally love Apeks. Like almos all others regs good for up to 40% O2 and widely used (which is good just in case you encounter a problem far from home).

Lukas:
Depth is not too much of an issue, I'm not an extreme deep diver, but I should be able to breathe effortlessly up to 200ft.

Your are well into the realm of technical diving here and while extreme is a subjective term 200 feet is wicked deep.

Until you said the 200' part I was going to mention the Sherwood Blizzard. Uncompromised reliability including under the ice.Affordable, eEasy and economical to service and service outlets virtually everywhere. Ours breathe just fine but for frequent time past the 100' mark I do belive you can get and do want a better breather.

Pete

I concur with Spectrum. The Blizzard is the cold water choice for most ice divers in Ontario (I dive one). Of course the high end regulators (Apeks, Atomic, Scubapro) perform well with their cold water kits installed. I don't think you'd want to take a Sherwood deeper than 130-140 feet.

Cheers.

-J.-

I am happy with my APEKS so you might want to look into them. XTX50, 100, 200 all comes with environmental seals suitable for cold water diving.

Aqualung also makes good regs. For your type of diving, you might want to check out Legend or the cheaper Titan Supreme.

Scubapro MK17+G250hp or S555/600 would also make a good alternative to look into.

I'd been thinking about the poseidon cyklon or jetstream, but as far as I know, those aren't nitrox compatible.
Like any other reg, they're good for 40% right out of the box.
Viton kits are also available if you need to go to a higher % on the O2.
The Xstream Duration is good for 50% & the Deco is 99.95%.

ScubaPro MK17/X650 or S600 for really cold water, for anything else, MK25 and same 2nd stages.

Both are high end 1st stages in SP line of regulators, one is enviromentally sealed balanced diaphragm, other unsealed balanced piston.

All SP regs are 40% nitrox ready out of the box.

My buddy dives in the conditions/depth range you mentioned and his Dive Rite 2500-ICE handles the conditions and breathes great. That's why I bought one, if he could use it in those conditions it would be perfect for my less demanding cold water diving.
Ber :lilbunny:

Lukas:
OK, so I've decided against a FFM. The problem of choosing a regulator still remains. Since many of you guys here are a lot more informed and experienced than I am, I thought I would ask you for help. I am planning on doing a lot of cold water diving, maybe even ice. I don't dive nitrox right now, but it might be an option in the future so that would be a nice but not necessary feature. Depth is not too much of an issue, I'm not an extreme deep diver, but I should be able to breathe effortlessly up to 200ft. I'd been thinking about the poseidon cyklon or jetstream, but as far as I know, those aren't nitrox compatible. If anyone can help me out here, I would very much appreciate it.

check out scubadiving dot com and look at their gear guide. They have all the articles written by Scubalab on display, with 10 or 15 of them about regulators. I am busy researching for a new reg too, and I am going cross-eyed looking at all the data. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom