Drysuit Question - big head and neck seal dont mix??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RussR

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I bought a dry suit off ebay and got it home today

It is a Whites Neoprene drysuit.

I put it on and it fits pretty good (snug in the feet so that may be a problem) but the real problem is the Neck seal. I was able to put it on with a little bit of a struggle but I almost passed out trying to get it off! I mean it i could not get it off of my head.

Now I have a large head but this was ridiculous.

So is this normal? Is this where a buddy comes in handy? Will trimming the seal help?

I can not imagine having to go through that every time I want to dive

It was extremely warm so I dont think I will need too much underneath.

Any advice is appreciated....

My drysuit isn't neoprene, but does have a neck seal that almost made my head pop off... trimming it helped a LOT. just remember to trim a tiny bit at a time, because too much is too much, and it can't be put back on! Use good sharp scissors so you get an even cut that is less likely to tear. I also found the neck seal to be much more comfortable in the water than out, but I don't know if that's normal or not. If I had it to do over again, I might trim just a bit less, as I get a tiny leak if I bend over in the water - so I try not to bend over too much. :)

I also had problems with the wrist seals being too tight until I trimmed them a bit.

kari

If it is neoprene neck seal, you might want to stretch it on your scuba tank for a day. This might stretch it enough. If not, do it again for another day.

If it is a new latex seal, I was advised not to trim ore than 1/8 of an inch at a time. There should be guidelines on the seal for you to cut. Cut only about 1/2 of the line at a time. I was told that if the seal is new, you might want it a little snug at first - not so snug that you passed out, but slightly snug, as it might stretch.

It sounds like you might have a neoprene neck seal? Try stretching it on a tank for 1 day at a time. You might not want to over stretch it.

If it is a used or older "new" suit, you might want to get a new neck seal off ebay, as it might need to be replaced soon. Latex can lose some elasticity and break down with time.

Pretty good tips were given to me in the DIY section on how to replace a latex neck seal. A neoprene one is more complicated, I think, as you have to do some sanding to get it to match.

The main issue was not the tightness on the neck, it was tight there too. It was trying to get it off over my head!

I got it half way up and I couldnt get it to go any furtherso i was sort of stuck with it half way over my head....

The wrist seals were a little tight too but nothing to worry about.

Will the trimming help with getting it on and off?

The seals seem to be neoprene so i will strtch them on a tank.

getting it on and off is easier if it's trimmed, but see fisherdvm's info as he seems to have a neoprene.

also helpful is a little talc on the neck seal before you try to put it on (helps with the sliding) and also a little timing practice... make sure you have a good breath before you go for it. :)

good luck! (and maybe send pictures of the event!)

kari

Assuming you have a latex seal, trim it to fit your neck, not to make it easy to slip over your head. Use lots of talc to help it slide on (or KY lube, though that gets messy...you can also use a soapy solution). Go to DUI's web site and download their drysuit owners manual...lots of good tips there that apply to most drysuits (how to put them on, take em off, etc.).

http://www.dui-online.com/pdf/drysuitmanual.pdf

Orangelion03 is on target.

The water pressure compresses the body somewhat during a dive, so there is some loss, although not a lot, of restriction when diving as opposed to suiting up.

The main thing of which to be aware is constriction of the blood vessels in the neck. Ya jist donnawanna do that.

Johnson & Johnson's Baby Shampoo is a great cure-all for many things, donning and doffing a dry suit is one of them.

the K

If you have a large head (and thinnish neck) neoprene neck seals may not work for you. You may have better luck sending it in and having the neoprene seal changed out for a latex seal, which is much stretchier and can handle the combination easier.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom