Counterfeit gear fear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DarthWader

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I hear my lds complain about knock-off gear, mostly Back plates and such, but it has me wondering how prevelant counterfeit gear is in the scuba market. Anyone ever see life-support counterfeited. . . or any other gear for that matter?

DarthWader:
I hear my lds complain about knock-off gear, mostly Back plates and such, but it has me wondering how prevelant counterfeit gear is in the scuba market. Anyone ever see life-support counterfeited. . . or any other gear for that matter?

Knock off backplates? Are those the old red ones that still say 'STOP' on the back?

That's funny... "knock-off backplates". One of mine was made by a machinist friend. Does that make it a knock-off? If so, a knock-off of what?

The question is why should someone counterfeit somthing?

If you have a cheaper backplate and it's good people will buy it.[
I'm still waiting for my louis vuitton wing however.

MSilvia:
That's funny... "knock-off backplates". One of mine was made by a machinist friend. Does that make it a knock-off? If so, a knock-off of what?
Home-made is not "Counterfeit" if your friend stamped Zeagle on it then it would be counterfeit. see the difference?

Mikhail Frenkel:
well, on the omsdive.com website, they mentioned that certain dive shops in Europe sell counterfeit backplates that rust very fast. below is the link.
http://omsdive.com/news.html#RUSTY
I think that was the complaint my lds had actually. it seems there's a bit of that which has made it into the US as well.
My major concern with etailers is the ease of which they could sell counterfeit. though I've never bought from them yet, Scubatoys is about the only on-line source I currently trust, and that's mainly from what I've read from the SB.
However, this isn't a merchant reliability thread, it's about product counterfeiting so I don't want to hijack my own thread!

Gear manufactured under the Trident label, is usually a design that has been purchased for the purpose of reproduction and resale by dive shops, without manufacturer's warrantee, commission, sales agreements, etc.

I know that Sea Elite has bought designs for their regulators, (which I've heard are actually Dive-Rite regs), and wetsuits. I use both the Sea Elite Tek-X reg/octo, and I have two Sea Elite wetsuits. The gear has stood up to the abuse I've dished out to it, and I couldn't be happier with it.

DarthWader:
I think that was the complaint my lds had actually. it seems there's a bit of that which has made it into the US as well.

Well that could also be a "scare tactic" used by your lds so you pay more money to get the items from them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom