Counterfeit gear fear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DarthWader:
I suspect you're right, my lds is not the most objecive retailer I've met, but I just don't have the technical knowledge or experience to refute these claims.

The simplest response is to put the onus on them to provide hard evidence of such allegations and to let them know that you adhere to the principle of innocent until proven guilty.

Racket:
Do you think they would sell more product if they were sold as fakes, for less.

Well, in this case oms had some fake product done up by somebody they did business with and they apparently weren't done too well, they rusted. Some other items had other issues and apparently at least one of them is being sold by an outlet store here in MO. Too bad it's not in my neighborhood or I'd look into it and see if it's true.

There is always a market for a brand name product that's cheaper. That's been demonstrated here with the oms scam. I won't say it's common, in fact this is the first time I've heard of it in the scuba industry for a fact. Rumor yes, facts until now were not in evidence.

Hi
Im new to the board and to scuba diving ,certified since July.

I just found this Old thread Googling about what I thought could be Impossible.

Fake scuba diving Equipment.

Well It's True. I am not proud at all, OMS BCD owner.
I bought it second hand, bcd looked like new to me. Until my local OMS retailer tells me it's a fake :confused:
No OMS parts are compatible with it, which make very hard to service.
Anyways now my buddy don't even want to dive with me if I'm using uncontroled un tested scuba diving product. I must admit I understand him

So If you ever plan buying What I thought would be the best Bcd on the Market ,OMS. Think twice there is some fake ones out there New or Used. And difference Is very hard to tell if you dont have another Real one to compare it with.

Keep diving

does your bc work properly,they either do or dont,if it does dive it if it doesnt trash it. it is just a bag of air.

I'd also suggest looking at the OMS site to see what they say about it. There is a possibility that the shop is just upset that you bought a BC elsewhere and they're giving you a line. You may have a legit BC.

Your buddy needs to have his head examined, to refuse to dive with you over this is not exactly showing his good side. The plate is metal, it's only problem is that it might rust. The wing, well, not much to say here but you can leak test it yourself. Look at it closely to see if it's solid, the inflator and dump valves can also be tested pretty easy.

Well I sent a email with pictures to OMS last Friday. Still waiting for a answer. Anybody knows if they actually read there emails ?

As for the Backplate Actually there not made of metal , it's made of plastic Abs look alike plastic. Inflator is leaking from 3 place. inflate botton ,Mouth piece, And from the upper elbow were it connect to the bag. Apperently my dealer Cannot get parts for the bc, since none of the components I mentioned above are Genuine OMS.

Like I said Im fairly new to scuba diving. I dont think I should take the risk to dive with a Fake BCD made of cheap no name parts. If I do I think I would be looking for trouble ... Dont you think ?

Almost sounds like the previous owner had trouble with the inflator/hose on another wing and took the one off the OMS and installed the old/worn out parts on yours. Leaking from the button and mouthpice indicates a bad schrader valve - not a hard thing to repair (might only need to be tightened in the housing)- the leaking at the top elbow indicates that the zip tie is probably not tight. There is nothing special about any hose or inflator mechanism - you can try and have the inflator serviced and hose connection tightened - or just spend a few bucks and buy a new inflator and hose and have it installed.

Personnally, I think your dealer is being an ************ - he could do these simple repairs, but is giving you a hard time since you did not buy from him. Contact ScubaToys and I'm sure they will sell you the parts (assembled) and all you will need to do is install them on the connection on the wing. This is NOT rocket science.

Well I sent a email with pictures to OMS last Friday. Still waiting for a answer. Anybody knows if they actually read there emails ?

As for the Backplate Actually there not made of metal , it's made of plastic Abs look alike plastic. Inflator is leaking from 3 place. inflate botton ,Mouth piece, And from the upper elbow were it connect to the bag. Apperently my dealer Cannot get parts for the bc, since none of the components I mentioned above are Genuine OMS.

Like I said Im fairly new to scuba diving. I dont think I should take the risk to dive with a Fake BCD made of cheap no name parts. If I do I think I would be looking for trouble ... Dont you think ?
I had a question about OMS's manufacturing locations, and not only did I get a prompt reply, but John, the owner, actually replied back to me on Labor day!

I'm sure you'll get a response on this from OMS. If there's counterfeit OMS gear out there, then the company's surely going to want to know where it came from. Also, I don't think OMS sells a plastic Backplate. I know my choices were either aluminum or stainless steel when I bought my rig.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom