Counterfeit gear fear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've never seen *fake* or counterfeit Scuba Gear.

I would question as to if the BC is fake, or maybe someone just ironed an OMS patch onto another type of BC. Inflater's are easily swapped across manufactures, so if it needs a new inflater just buy one. Just because the inflater in the BC is NOT OMS, does not mean that the entire kit is counterfeit.

Why not post some photo's here? You may get some better answers.

What happened to the guy you purchased this from?

I know that Sea Elite has bought designs for their regulators, (which I've heard are actually Dive-Rite regs), and wetsuits. I use both the Sea Elite Tek-X reg/octo, and I have two Sea Elite wetsuits. The gear has stood up to the abuse I've dished out to it, and I couldn't be happier with it.

The first generation SEA ELITE Tek X was almost identical to the Dive Rite regulator so true. BUT.....we had the Tek X out first.:D We use the same suppliers sometimes. The current Tek X is NOT from the same place nor the same as a Dive Rite. It perrfrms MUCH better than the generation one Tek X.

The wetsuits, there are MANY sources for wetsuits and to be honest where we are having wetsuits made they make other brands as well.

I've never seen *fake* or counterfeit Scuba Gear.

I would question as to if the BC is fake, or maybe someone just ironed an OMS patch onto another type of BC. Inflater's are easily swapped across manufactures, so if it needs a new inflater just buy one. Just because the inflater in the BC is NOT OMS, does not mean that the entire kit is counterfeit.

Why not post some photo's here? You may get some better answers.

What happened to the guy you purchased this from?

In the 90's there was a company in California called Forte, they made BCD's and for a short while other gear, mainly rebadged Oceanic gear. They were making BCD's for Scubabpro and decided it would be fun to supply Leisure Pro with some "scubapro" BCD's. They however didn't have extra Scubapro fittings(Scubapro provided those to whoever was making the products that year)so they used generic dumps, inflators RE valves etc. Long story short they got caught and sued out of existance by Scubapro. LP denied any knowledge that they weren't in fact real SCUBAPRO BCD's.

That is the ONLY situation in diving where I have heard of counterfit scuba gear. Generally speaking rumours of such are started by the LDS that is trying to justify higher prices and sell fear instead of service.

I recall a warning advisory a few years ago concerning Chinese counterfeit Kirby Morgan equipment that had caused failures. Kirby Morgan helmets such as the Superlites are used primarily by commercial divers. The fact is the KM hats are very expensive and invite knockoffs. but they can be detected by a knowlegeable diver. Hazards include voids in the material that can cause explosions under certain conditions and pose extreme hazards to divers.

... Chinese counterfeit Kirby Morgan equipment ...
I remember those; a few made it into the US.
Some had more BONDO in the shell than fiberglass.
They should've tried making them out of polypropylene instead, would have been more sturdy.
They could've subbed the job out to Tupperware & had a decent product!!!

I remember those; a few made it into the US.
Some had more BONDO in the shell than fiberglass.
They should've tried making them out of polypropylene instead, would have been more sturdy.
They could've subbed the job out to Tupperware & had a decent product!!!

The giveaway is if you can burp your hat, don't dive it.

Maybe My local Scuba shop tried to $#^@$ me. But He didn't charge a dime and told me Next bc you bring it here and Ill make sure it's safe for you.I told him I would not buy a new one Because I don't have the budget for a new one.

As for OMS I still had no answer. Im starting to think maybe they Cannot get picture tru Emails. Ill send another with no picture To see.

For now i don't think I can service my gear myself since I dont have a clue what to check and how to do it, But as a car mechanic be sure Ill be doing it in a close future.

Here some pics of the Bc

Dump valve Appearently Not OMS
Picture2424.jpg

Inflator Not OMS also
Picture2426.jpg

Leak around the ring there
Picture2425.jpg

See Grey mark is a crack in the plastic
Picture2427.jpg

Picture2428.jpg

Oms Wing are coated with urethane on the inside Not this one
Picture2429.jpg

Picture2430.jpg

Picture2431.jpg

Now you tell me , All I know was said by the Owner of my Scuba shop. True,False ? Ive seing the Coating in the wing at the shop and inflator and dump valve difference. Is mine just a older model ??? I have no ideal

Oh yeah also he told me, my retracting band were too tight and way to rubber to stiff, which will cause the air to get stuck between the bands resulting incontroled ascention :(

Thanks guys

That rig sure looks to my untrained eye to be counterfeit. This may be nit picking, but all OMS logos I've seen have a tradermark on 'em, like this:

clothpatch.jpg

About the bands, make sure you tie 'em on while the wing is inflated.
here's OMS' manual on tying the bands: http://www.omsdive.com/downloads/oms_bc_users_manual.pdf
Good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom