cold water gloves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drewdude

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Looking for some advice on cold water gloves. Those that I've tried on seem to make dexterity an issue. Seeking max warmth/minimal dexterity issues.

thx

I really like the bare guantlet gloves they are easy to pull on and very warm. As far as dexterity goes when you put 5mm of neoprene on your fingers, you are just about SOL with whatever you use.

I Deep See's Titainium gloves. I don't think the titanium lining does anything to reflect heat, but the gloves do have very little water exhange and have proven to be warm even in very cold water. They are also shaped well and offer good dexterity for a 5mm glove.

The key to warm hands and warm feet is primarily maintaining a warm core. Consequently the critical factor is not so much the gloves but the exposure suit as if your body gets cold, it does not matter what you are using for gloves as your hands will get cold as your body will reduce circulation to your extremities to conserve heat when your core temp begins to fall.

Personally I have found that I stay a lot warmer with a neoprene sry duit and wet gloves than I ever did with a trilam dry suit with 400 g thinsulate underwear and dry gloves as the neoprene dry suit suit does a better job of keeping my core warm in sub 40 degree water.

I've been very happy with my Bare gauntlet gloves. The gauntlet really minimizes flushing and also adds some extra insulation to the wrists to help keep the blood flow warm. Mine are just a tad bigger than snug. My palms seem to warm the small volume of water and by flexing my fingers I can circulate the heat. Serves me well for into the 30sF.

Any cold water glove will make dexterity something of an issue. That's where training and gear choices come into play. Photographers have it the worst I think.

Pete

I concur with the Bare gloves. I use the ones with the kevlar palm as most of my diving involves zebra mussels getting in the way. I have used them while ice diving and my hands stayed warm without adding any warm water.

I've tried three different gloves with my trilam drysuit and the best were the 5mm Pinnacle merino wool gloves(the ones with the light blue soft lining). Never been below 43F w/ them, but never been cold either. The reason why I prefer them over the other ones -- 5mm Seasoft and the Bare Gauntlet -- is they're shorter at the wrist. The other two gloves necessitate me squeezing the cuff of my drysuit(where the trilam meets the latex seal) and fussing the gloves over that. It's a PITA since gloves are one of the last pieces of gear you put on. The Gauntlet is a very long glove which would suit a neoprene dry/wet suit better. I do use that glove on my Bare wetsuit and it works great.

Best advise I can give about gloves in general is that to have multiple pairs. Buy a few different kinds, see which ones work/fit the best for you. Then, you'll have extra gloves in case a buddy needs one, you lose/rip a glove or if you're just switching gloves between dives to keep your hands warmer.

LobstaMan

I like my Harvey's Ti2 gloves. Fit good and are easy to put on and take off even wet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom