good dry suit undergarment alternatives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hollywood703

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am looking for what people use as undergarments compared to the Polartec etc....I am in need of some cold water underwear......water temps 40-50 degrees or so of Lake Michigan. I was thinking of some thick flannel pajama pants and tops. I used up my funding for this year on my drysuit and some thinner fleece undergarments, but they are ok down to say 65 degrees. I could layer using them, so let me know what everyone is using...BESIDES True drysuit undergarments in cold water.

Interesting question. I love finding alternative solutions from on-hand materials!

You're on exactly the right track with layering. This isn't what you're looking for, but I mix and match layers of Polartec outdoor garments to vary my thermal protection as needed.

Sounds like you don't have many of those kind of garments on hand, so the next best thing will be to use your thin fleece garments for a wicking layer next to the skin, then build loft with bulkier fabrics, such as coarse-knit wool or synthetic fiber sweaters. Such sweaters can be picked up at rummage shops for next to nothing, if you don't have a box full of them already. :)

Try to avoid constricting circulation or restricting range of movement with excess material, especially at the armpits or knees. Consider cutting the arms off a cheap sweater to build up the torso area and not jam the arms.

A chest pad of synthetic material can greatly reduce heat loss in that area.

Finding something for the legs will be a little harder, but you might find your flannel works, provided it isn't cotton.

Try to avoid cotton, of course, because it will get damp and cold.

Here's some more details on how I use layering.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=2603629&postcount=12

HTH.

Dave C

Unfortunately, this is exactly the wrong time of year to try this strategy, but...

I went to every crunchy outdoor store I could find last spring and bought North Face, Patagonia, and Mountain Hardwear capilene and fleece pants, socks, shirts, and vests. I probably spent less than $100 and got 3 long-sleeve tops of various weights, a fleece vest, 2 pairs of fleece socks, and a pair of very warm fleece pants. And all of it is rich-boy quality.

Now I only break out the Weezle when the water temp is below 45.

REI currently has a bunch of polartec fleece on clearance (at least in my area) I just got a jacket and some pants 200 weight for $45 total.

I just picked up a fleece vest at a sidewalk sale for about $8. They had a whole rack of them. There are so many inexpensive fleece garments being sewn in China I am sure you could hit the local discount mega retailer and pick up some generic fleece cheaply.

Remember to add more lead as you fluff up your undergarments.

I use polypro long johns and fleece layers. The layers are warm and dry easier than cotton does and have the benefit of being pretty thin so as not to bulk up too much under your dry suit.

Some of the army navy surplus stores carry some pretty warm long john stuff.

Mrs.Prages:
I use polypro long johns and fleece layers. The layers are warm and dry easier than cotton does and have the benefit of being pretty thin so as not to bulk up too much under your dry suit.

+1 on the polypro

As a motorcyclist (all seasons in WV), I can vouch that polypropylene undergarmets can't be beat for warmth. Plus you stay dry due to their wicking action.

These garments are lightweight and really do the job. When I receive my dry suit, polypropylene will always be my choice.

EMS Thick Wick is what we use.

We dive lake Erie, bottom temps are in the low 40's all season. Just doing rec diving we have about 18-30 minute bottom times. We wear the Pinnacle Fleece and the Thick Wick for most of the season. If its in the 40's and 50's from top to bottom we will break out the Evo undergarment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom