Cobra 1...any good?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mrabdiver111

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Im thinking about getting the Cobra 1 instead of the second one due to the fact that Im really used to a regular compass, and I think the digital compass would just drain the batteries quicker. Does anyone have any input for me?

I have the original Cobra with the SK7 compass attachment and love it. I was a bit hesitant to buy the digital compass too. The Cobra does everything I need any way and more.

:D

I used a Cobra for many years before switching to a Vytec. My wife uses one now. Great compact little AI computer. I prefer it over the Cobra 2 as many, myself included do not like the compass. I still use the Sk-7 compass. I also like the display better than the matrix disply on the C2.

Im thinking about getting the Cobra 1 instead of the second one due to the fact that Im really used to a regular compass, and I think the digital compass would just drain the batteries quicker. Does anyone have any input for me?

My wife uses a Cobra with a SK7 compass as well and really likes it. I use a D6, and don't use the digital compass at all. I prefer to use my good old analog. Some friends of ours bought Cobra II's then put analog compasses on them, still don't understand that???

My wife uses a Cobra with a SK7 compass as well and really likes it. I use a D6, and don't use the digital compass at all. I prefer to use my good old analog. Some friends of ours bought Cobra II's then put analog compasses on them, still don't understand that???

I'm assuming that the upgrade from the Cobra to the Cobra 2 is the same as from the Vyper to the Vyper 2. There are differences in the algorithm, some settings and the vyper 2 is easier to navigate. I hate the digital compass but still find the upgrade worth it.

I've had my Cobra 1 for about 4 years now and love it.

It's always been reliable and held up well and never failed on me. I also have the Sk7 compass, which I'm not as crazy about. I've had 3 compasses and the first two developed leaks. But perhaps Suunto has got that problem fixed now, since I haven't had any problems with the current compass.

I've also used the Quick Disconnect, but I found it was not all that useful and ended up selling it.

the one flaw/problem is the PC interface. It is sometimes a hassle getting the thing to make the transfer. I keep having to jiggle the connection to get it to work. If they had a better system for that, I would have no complaints with this computer.

I don't think the digital compass circuitry is active except while displaying compass mode (other than the few bytes for calibration data, hehe). It should not have an impact on battery life if you don't use it.

I like my Vyper2's display better than the "classic" display. The finer granularity on the ascent rate indicator is probably one of my favorite updates.

Hookem99 - Some friends of ours bought Cobra II's then put analog compasses on them, still don't understand that???
They've probably figured out the digital compass on the Cobra II doesn't work unless it's pretty much perfectly level, and even then only 1/2 the time. I've got a Cobra I with the SK7 as well, and have tried the Cobra II in the shop after it had been "calibrated" and couldn't get it to give me accurate headings. The SK7 showed the way every time.

I had a ton of dives on my Cobra before I decided that I could not read it. I left it for the Oceanic VT3 and have not looked back!

I bought a Cobra since they were first intorduced, Great computer.
Then the Cobra II came out it had Deeps stop configuration capability and the Algorith could be set to an attenuated state so you don't go into Deco as easily. I thought the Electronic compass was a neat thing also so i had to have one. Getting to the end of the novel the compass really sucked and was a worthless drain on battery consumption, I took the SK7 off my Cobra and mounted it on the Cobra II, problem solved. All is well now.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom