How many of you have made this mistake???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sub_diving_mason

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
After a few month I convinced my wife to take an OW class. I wanted to dive on a cruise that we were going on and she agreed. As part of my stipulation if she decided to get certified, we would purchase her own gear (comfort, safety was my concern). Well, the computer she decided on was a nav console (Sherwood Profile) which I had some concerns about, since it was not Nitrox capable. She assured me that she had no interest in becoming Eanx certified...

I told her "never say never."

Guess who was in my Eanx class with me???

Now she wants to get a Nitrox capable computer, AAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!

Guess we're going shopping...

Ouch... Fortunately my diving mates and I decided to get a NITROX compatible computer from the start. I'm so glad I listened because now I dive NITROX. Sorry for the situation!

Good times. Welcome to the wonderful world of scuba gear upgrading!

Start saving now. You'll need it when she asks for a BP/W setup and a canister light. :)

Yeah, but no matter which way you went, this was gonna happen in some shape fashion or form.

Welcome to being married to your buddy. AFAIC, as long as she will dive with me, fine. For me it's "Well dear, what __________ would you like?" BTW, She is a good diver and a great buddy.

I made the same mistakes in the past. Getting gears which serve my needs at that particular point of time. End up having to change most, if not all, of my gears all these years.

Well, these days, I always tell my students to get TRY to look into their future in diving and consider investing in gears the might have more capability than what they need at the moment (of course I don't mean to tell students to get a helium capable computer for their enrich air diving)....................it happens.

Consider the sorts of diving you will do and how you will treat nitrox. Her new computer may not need to go straight to the top of the wish list.

1. As new diver(s) gas supply may still be the driver of the dive plan / profile. Nitrox may only add margin to an acceptable air dive for a while. In this case dive it as air. You should not need the computer to observe your MOD. That only leaves O2 buildup to track and it takes a lot of recreational diving to have O2 kick in as a limit.

2. Some divers choose to dive nitrox as air long term as a safety margin.

In time an upgrade is probably warranted but I'd think twice before diving on the grenade if other gear is appropriate to get you both diving regularly.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom