My LDS is restructuring

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deefstes

Contributor
Reaction score
Johannesburg, South Africa (not close enough to th
# of dives
100 - 199
I thought I'd share an interesting observation at my local dive shop (let's call it Shop A). It used to be owned by the owner of another dive shop (let's call it Shop B) and we've supported both quite a lot, but mostly Shop A as it is closer to us.

So recently the owner decided to sell off Shop A and consolidate his business in Shop B, not because he's struggling in the current financial climate noooo, simply because he'd like to consolidate his customer base and yadda yadda. It's a pity because we liked the relationship we had with the staff and the business but would in future most likely go to Shop A more often, meaning we'd be supporting his competition.

Now that Shop A is under new ownership, we've noticed an interesting thing. The service and vibe at Shop A (some of the original staff members remained) is fantastic, better than it used to be, while the service and vibe at Shop B is downright poor, much worse than it used to be. Seems our "relationship" with them doesn't count for much and it's just not a pleasure going there anymore. We'll be quite happy to deal only with Shop A in future.

It's hard not to think that these are the signs of a shop going under. It's refreshing to see the upbeat vibe in the shop that's making a new beginning and it stands in stark contrast with the one that's flailing to stay alive. It's really a shame.

Depending on how you handle it, I would have no problem telling the shop that went down hill how they are now and that I would rather go somewhere else. There is probably a lot going on behind the scenes making them act the way they do but it is up to management to straighten things out. And possibly....just possibly....they dont even realize how they are coming off to the customer. If they do, then they will just fail like so many others.

You are absolutely right and I would feel really bad for them if they don't make it. The thing is these two shops had a shared customer base which now will have to choose between the two. For some the choice will be obvious based on geography but there are some who can go either way and the way things are going now Shop A will be pulling the vast majority of those.

As you say, there is certainly a lot going on behind the scenes and the owner will have to sort it out but the sad thing is that he himself is guilty of poor service. I'm not sure I have the guts or the personality to tell him but I'm sure it would benefit him. Maybe I'll leave an anonymous note under his shop's door one evening...

Back
Top Bottom