bp/w weight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

11kiwidiver

Registered
Reaction score
I know this question has been asked wayy to many times.. but I cant really figure out the wing-lift calculator that someone posted :idk:

Do you think 30# is enough for me
steel bp
133hp (-9.5)
13cf pony
3/2 full wetsuit
salt water diving
I weigh around 125#

Do a proper weight check first to determine whether you've got enough ballast.

Your wing/BCD should have enough lift to support the greater of:
(a) Your rig with full tank (without you) OR
(b) The loss of buoyancy of your exposure suit at depth

30 lbs. of lift is more than enough. Many people would say that you can get away with a smaller wing.

That's a very large tank for such a small person. :D

[Edited later: Yeah. I totally misread your post initially.]

Last edited:
An in-water weight check is really the way to go. Salt water displaces about 64 lbs per cf. You can figure the lift on your BC. You are probably slightly positive in the water, without gear. The tanks are negative (see mfr for actual numbers). Your wetsuit is going to change buoyancy as you descend to depth (it will get less as it compresses).

I think the lift is enough to get everything up when full. Best way to check is actually get in the pool, with everything on. When you are properly weighted, you should float about eye level, with a lung FULL of air, and your BC empty. If you don't have any weight, and are still negative (which it appears is a very good possibility, based on your gear description), then you need to ensure your BC will float you high in the water when inflated.

Mainly, you do not want to be overweighted.

Hope this helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom