looking for a cold water reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

strawhouse

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have been in the search for my first regulator. I dive mainly in Ontario and the odd few times in the winters down south. I visited my LDS and he was told me I should look at something like the sherwood blizzard. I was wondering what other options are available for cold water. There is so many choices I just dont know where to start, and then I havent even looked at the cost of the parts for servicing the regs yet. Idealy I would like to get the first and second stage and a gauge console but I just dont know!:idk:

I use Apeks XTX 200s on my twins in cold water and touch wood I have never had a problem.

I use a Poseidon Exstream for my local diving........

Been to 34 degrees with no issues.......

Love it.......

M

If you have a good feeling about Sherwood at least get the Maximus, so you have the adjustment features. My experience is that this is crucial for our cold water diving. I live and dive further north than Anchorage, much of it in fresh water & winter time. If the ice isn't too thick that is...
Most of my fellow divers stick to Apeks, mostly because of great logistics. But they work very well in cold weather. We use DS4 + XTX50. No need for more "bling"! Also, I have excellent experience with Oceanic's better models, which I have 10 sets of for diving classes.

Barrie, Ontario diver here..

The Blizzard is a solid reg, however, it's not the easiest breathing reg on the market. Feels like sucking air through a garden hose to me.

I went with Atomic M1's and a standard Halycon brass pressure gauge.

The Aqualung Legend LX supreme and some of the scubapro regs were some of my other options I considered.

I've had my M1's at 94 feet in cold water with no change in work of breathing at all. The wide T-exhaust clears my face entirely of bubbles. I guess the biggest compliment I could give my regs is that I don't even think about them down there at any depth.

Look at the Zeagle line, you will not be disappointed. You can get the same breathing at 20 feet verses120 feet. good luck

I'm looking for some myself. My club uses atx40/ds4 from Apeks, which are built like bricks and never have had a problem dealing with the cold. Looking recently though I like the look of the Scubapro Mk17/R395 combo. Has anyone had experience with using that particular set up in cold water?

I have Apecks XTX 200's on my doubles and I use a Legend Supreme as well. I regularly dive in cold water. both regs perform great and easy to breath.

JR

Barrie, Ontario diver here..

The Blizzard is a solid reg, however, it's not the easiest breathing reg on the market. Feels like sucking air through a garden hose to me.QUOTE]

Im just up the road in Bracebridge

When I did my open water we used sherwoods, not too sure what model but your description fits the bill, I really didnt like how they felt.

I love my Aqualung Glacia. Breathes and works great and designed specifically for cold water.

Back
Top Bottom