New Computer For A New Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jsd

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am a recent certified diver (definitely of rookie status) and in the process of purchasing gear. My question is in regards to computers…I live inland and hope to go on 5 dive trips a year. I have been looking at the Suunto Vyper Air or Cobra 3 as I like the idea of the digital compass. However, for my experience level and how many times I hope to dive each year I don’t know if I should be looking at other options. My concern is that by the time I graduate to novice status that these units will be well behind the curve. I recognize that with electronic devices that next years model is often times better, cheaper, faster…I’m struggling with should I buy something less expensive and go big later or buy something that I can grow with. Any and all input is appreciated.

If we take dollars off the table, I would recomend picking a computer that does what you want now. Be picky, pay particular attention to the items that are important to you. I own a Scuba Pro "Gallileo." In a similar situation to yours, I live in Colorado where the serious diving is rather scarce. When I do go to do some serious diving however, I want the best and most important a computer that will tell me what I want to know.

Second to your regulator, the computer is "life support" in it's importance.

I am a fairly new diver as well. I purchased the Aeris Manta and have been extremely happy with it. It has a lot of great features for the price (239 at LP). It does not have an integrated compass, but honestly other than my navigation class and my rescue class I have not used a compass. It really comes down to what is important to your diving needs. A dive computer is like any other piece of diving equipment, you will get 20 different opinions on 20 different computers. There are some really nice expensive dive computers loaded with features that many recreational divers will not use. You really can't go wrong with any of the computers from the industries major manufacturers.

I started day 1 with a Tusa IQ 700 mounted in my console and have loved it.

Its basic and not air integrated. I want the least amount of possible issues.

Get something cheap, wrist mounted, not wireless, not air integrated, minimum bells and whistles, that's easy to read. For recreational diving, any nitrox computer will sort of do the same essential tasks: show you time/depth info and calculate N2 loading and off-gassing, and O2 exposure if you're diving nitrox. Having extra features does not improve your diving experience in my opinion. There are some people that like to download their dive profiles, but most computers will do that too these days.

The big difference between some of the computers is the amount of conservatism in the algorithms that calculate off-gassing. To date, none of these has been proven to be any safer than any other, but of course lots of people assume that you are less likely to get bent using a conservative computer. That is just an assumption, however, there is absolutely no data to support it. Still you want to be comfortable with what you have.

Good choices might be the suunto gekko, or oceanic veo (whatever the model is these days, used to be veo 180), or if you want something smaller, the mares nemo is pretty popular. It's also more expensive.

I really would not spend much at this time. Later on if you get into tech diving with some planned deco and multiple gases, you'll need something new anyway, whether it's a wrist computer specifically for that or deco software and a bottom timer.

I am a recent certified diver (definitely of rookie status) and in the process of purchasing gear. My question is in regards to computers…I live inland and hope to go on 5 dive trips a year. I have been looking at the Suunto Vyper Air or Cobra 3 as I like the idea of the digital compass. However, for my experience level and how many times I hope to dive each year I don’t know if I should be looking at other options. My concern is that by the time I graduate to novice status that these units will be well behind the curve. I recognize that with electronic devices that next years model is often times better, cheaper, faster…I’m struggling with should I buy something less expensive and go big later or buy something that I can grow with. Any and all input is appreciated.

I own several dive computers (I always dive with 2). The Vyper Air is one of them and it's a great computer. Yes, it has several features you won't use now (Nixtrox, 2 gas mix), but all other features usable at your current level. The advantage here is this computer will meet your needs now right through almost any level except trimix diving. The Cobra 3 is excellent also. It doesn't do multiple gases, but does do nitrox.

Everyone has an opinion on what's right. Do what's right for you. Again, both computers are good choices that will last you a long time.

JR

PS. My first computer was a Vyper. It's 6 or 7 years old, still works great and I use it often except on multigas dives.

I am a fairly new diver as well. I purchased the Aeris Manta and have been extremely happy with it. It has a lot of great features for the price (239 at LP).

Although I really have no knowledge with this brand/model, at the current close out price that is a lot of computer for the money!

As long as there is no history of bugs, hard to beat it (unless you want conservative = Suunto).

My wife and I dive with the Suunto Cobra (2008 models, air integrated, magnetic compass) and they work fine, but we needed to get some hands-on instruction on how to use them because the readouts can be confusing, the menus aren't always simple, and the manual isn't all that clear. Maybe the Cobra 3 is better.

In Southern California waters (vis 10'-30') we use the compass constantly, and the air integration is handy because all your info is in one place and the computer calculates how much dive time you have left at your current depth.

As far as conservatism, the basic Suunto algorithm does seem to line up a bit conservatively with the standard DSAT dive tables. Suunto lets you select more conservative settings if you wish.

Last edited:
I use a veo 200 and an OMS bottom timer. No need for air integration, heart monitor, wireless, etc. These have stood me well to 155 feet with tables, under the ice, and the veo is 5 years old. Unless you really need mixed gas capabilities, have way too much money, or are a gadget freak, a basic nitrox computer will be sufficient for years to come.

I don't know about the digital compass in the Suuntos, but I have not been impressed with the utility of the one I have in my computer. I still use the tried-and-true Suunto Sk7 instead, so my recommendation would be to drop back to a less expensive computer without the compass, and use the money you save to buy the Sk-7.

Also think about whether you want a console computer or a wrist-mounted one. I have found having my depth and dive time right in front of my face all the time (not having to be pulled up from anywhere) to be very useful. Although I began with a Cobra, I've become a big fan of wrist computers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom