PADI or NAUI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Robert00

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Am looking into obtaining OWSI certification and am trying to figure out which way to go. Can someone please educate me?? Thank you in advance.

Go with the shop you are intending on wrking with

If I had the opportunity I would, career military and am constantly moving every couple of years. So I don't have the stability and time to stick with one or two different dive shops.

This thread, like every one that involves PADI, will probably explode into several pages, with all the regular contributors...

Simply put: it doesn't really matter.

I've got certifications from PADI, NAUI, SDI, NSS-CDS and NACD. Never had a problem with any of them being accepted.

Why can I be certain it doesn't matter? Because many instructors can teach for several agencies. Same instructor...the only difference in the class is the book. There are only a limited number of skills that different agencies want taught in some special manner, and for the most part, the class is taught almost the same no matter what agency the student wants a certification from.

PADI's books include more self quizzes and things, which many people find helpful. NAUI's materials assume you know how to study.

You can go with one now, and switch in future classes: OW can be PADI, AOW can be Naui, Rescue can be SDI, Divemaster can be SSI...it doesn't really matter.

Still, this thread will soon be rife with people arguing that this or that or the other agency sucks. The largest difference, by far, will be the instructor. See if you can find out information on various dive shops in your area on Scubaboard (go to your regional forum, or use the search function with various dive center names, just be careful there, because there are lots of shops with the same name around the globe). Take what you read with a grain of salt, but if a lot of people say the same thing, it might be true.

Good luck and dive safe!

Interview the shops in your present area and go with the shop that impresses you the most.
At pressent I can teach for most of the agencies and can tell you that the differences aren't all that great. PADI requires an independant evaluation of all their instructors whether or not you are already an instructor while most of the other agencies will accept a scaled down cross over with a course director doing the evaluation.

Ditto the instructor is the most important. I did PADI eLearing for my OW and that worked out well for me. I did my cert dives mid winter in Hawaii. Did this mean I was confident enough to go Dive in a drysuit in MT. NO!!! My AOW is through my LDS and has been a great review of my OW course. We were able to only get in four OW dives for the class this past year, however, I have a much higher respect for the sport from my instructor than I received with my OW class. It was all a matter of timing. During my AOW classes we have VIPed tanks, worked on drysuit wrist seals and discussed oxygen clean fills. I have had the opportunity to learn as much as I want about a variety of subjects.

For me it has been a blast. I work very hard every day and diving provides me with a mental regeneration that is phenominal.

Interview your potential instructors and find one that meets your goals and objectives. You will benefit many times. You might get lucky and find a great dive buddy.

I hope you have a great time.

Back
Top Bottom