Key Largo Accommodations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AquaExplorer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I got some good tips on Key West for the night...now where would one spend six nights in Key Largo?

I am leaning towards the Bay Island Resort (Tavernier), though it means a 15 mile drive to the docks every day. It just looks great.

While I know that the Keys are not know for wide, long sandy beaches, we are going to be doing other things than diving (we are doing five dive trips, 10 dives, in six days) and this is our first real vacation in two years.

So where else, that is reasonable, would one stay in Key Largo to have someplace decent to hang out when NOT in the water or doing a bit of sightseeing? I love the idea of "toes in the sand" drinking a beer but I can live with a pool! :)

I do have one avenue I am pursuing thanks to a wonderful member here, but I am looking for others.

My wife and I have stayed at Bay Harbor Lodge on Key Largo numerous times. It looks somewhat similar to Bay Island Resort. There are several similar old-style Keys "resorts" in a row near Bay Harbor Lodge. We like Bay Harbor Lodge because it is simple, inexpensive, well-kept and has quite a few shade trees, a pool plus a small beach and a few boats available for use. And, it is at mm 97.7 with easy access to Key Largo or Tavernier locations.

Conch Republic Divers is in Tavernier. No need to drive 15 miles.

I like to go on VRBO and rent a house in KL.

Conch Republic Divers is in Tavernier. No need to drive 15 miles.

I like to go on VRBO and rent a house in KL.

No doubt that Conch Republic is a fantastic and amazing dive shop, by all I have heard. It seems Silent World is in the same category.

For various reasons (most notably being total newbs and the small boats and family vibe) we have chosen Silent World. Our next trip down will be with Conch to compare.

Imorin...I have looked at that one and it seems nice. How was the "beach" area? Was it someplace nice to chill out and relax? We are not fancy peeps...but we do want clean and serviceable...would you say it was?

In the Key Largo area we've only stayed at the Holiday Inn, and the Marina Del Mar. The Holiday Inn is what it is, small rooms, hard to store your gear between dives (unless SW will do it for you, never used them, but I know Conch Republic does). But they have a nice property with two pools, and a tiki bar. Marina Del Mar is a little less nice, but a place to stay nonetheless, they have a nice pool, and a good restaurant on the property (forget the name at the moment)

In Islamorada, we've stayed at the Hampton (nice but expensive) and the Quality Inn.

We mostly end up renting condo's for the time we are there (In Marathon since we can get to KW or KL just as easily)

Good luck! Have fun!

(btw...the times we've stayed in KW we either stayed with friends, the Casa Marina...nice, old, expensive! and the Sheraton. OK as well)

I also have vacation rentals here in Key Largo from homes, condos to hotels and motels. If you are interested give me a call and we can figure out what best suits your needs. I also have a home that is only a 1 min drive from SW docks if that helps. Very pretty and ALL new inside. Buzzards Roost resturant is just down the street.

Thanks Speargirl...I will call later today.

While I await calling Speargirl....can anyone give the lowdown on either of these two places:

Island Bay Resort ..:: A Florida Keys Experience ::..

or

Bay Harbor

Both look great, actually very similar. Both are withing a few dollars of each other, so price is not an issue here. Also, both seem to have similar amenities and that laid-back feel.

One is further south from Silent World's docks (about five miles more) than the other, but I am not sure that really matters. Both get great reviews on TripAdvisor.

Decisions, decisions.

Aqua--I sent you a pm. Yes, Bay Harbor is very clean, neat and tidy.

Thanks...I got it. The wife and I like it and are looking heavily at booking there. Not bad at $155 a night for one with a kitchen!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom